Author Topic: Rogue Roqueforts  (Read 2245 times)

Gina

Rogue Roqueforts
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
I love the blues and enjoy making them. :)

This is another batch of sort of roquefort types, made with cow's milk and the new dry calf's rennet.

Almost from the beginning, they had a mind of their own....

It started by my accidentally heating the milk to 95F after adding the cultures. Ack. I decided to ripen for a shorter time because of this, but it was just a guess. No pH meter (that works anyway).

After adding the rennet and letting it sit, the curd was very nice. After cutting, 'it' decided to hang onto the whey with a passion. I had to quickly set up a second draining set-up because the volume of wet curds was too much for the first. Draining was slow and would never fit into the molds, so I went to plan B ... treat it like a Stilton, drain the curds much longer in tied cheese cloth, and then press the curds with a 10 pound weight for about an hour. They were looking pretty good.

Then I milled them through a half inch grid, and put them into the 3 molds. They fit perfectly. These molds are plastic rubbermaid food containers, about 4 inches wide, and 4 inches tall. Holes were put in the bottom. (I love the rounded edges on both ends of the cheeses.)

After a couple days of draining and turning, I removed the molds and brined them. (instead of rubbing on loose salt as with the last batch of 'roqueforts'). I dried them in a large container (the oven) kept moist and in the low 60's with ice. Blue began to form after a few days in the nooks and crannies, and grew from there. :)

I pierced and put them into a smaller, mostly covered container and moved them into the cheese cave in the lower 50'sF.  Here they are 11 days after the original make. Yesterday the blue was vibrant, today it's really dulled down. Not sure what's happened in the past 24 hours. Maybe it's just natural progression.

9mmruger

Re: Rogue Roqueforts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
They look great to me Gina.  I have yet to make a bloomed cheese.  Soon though.  I just got a source for fresh goats milk so am pretty excited about that.  I get 3 gallons next Friday.  Will probably make a goats milk cheddar.

Gina

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »
A few weeks later. They have a nice woodsy smell. :)

As usual, I can hardly wait to cut into one, but I will try.  ::)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »
VERY nice. Great job Gina.

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
They are really looking good now.  Congrats.

Gina

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »
Thanks very much. I'm pleased with how they are turning out. I especially like the shapes, but beauty is only skin deep.

Making blue cheese is a lot like growing potatoes - the tops might look really healthy, but you don't know what you've actually got till you start digging beneath the surface. :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
Look great Gina and I love the potato comparison too!

Brentsbox

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
The really do look great but I love your comparison to growing potatoes.  I did that for the first time this year and know exactly what you mean.   Let us know when you crack one of them open.