Author Topic: Finally Got My Press  (Read 2602 times)

9mmruger

Finally Got My Press
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »
Picked up my press from my Father-in-law yesterday.  See what you think.

MrsKK

Re: Finally Got My Press
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
Looks great to me!

9mmruger

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »
Can't wait to try it out.  This weekend for sure.

Chris_Abrahamson

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
That looks very nice!  I am thinking about building one in a similar style and get rid of the spring press I made.   One question - why the multiple holes on the extension arm - aren't you going to be hanging weight from just one point?

Chris

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »
Not necessarily, I may move them inward to decrease the pressure on the cheese.  The design that I patterned off of that it that way so I followed suit.  By moving the weights toward the plunger it will decrease the pressure on the cheese.  For example, if I have to press the cheese with 15 lbs of pressure, my 5lb weight would have to be 20" from the fixed point of the lever.  If I had it out on the end, there would be 20lbs on the cheese.  I wish that I had had the lever made about 6" longer.  Requires hanging less weight on the end.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
Nice job. Very compact style...I get a sense of the dimensions from the tub faucet on the left. I don't see the lever hole closest to the pivot getting much use though.

What do you estimate is the highest psi you can deliver? Do you see a cheddar in your cheesemaking future?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

9mmruger

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »
Yeah, I don't think that the builder realized that support would be unusable.  If the arms will support the full 50lbs in weight plates that I have, (and that remains to be seen), on my 7" mold I could get around 5.5 psi.  The lever arm is 28" long and the base is 30".  On my 4" molds I could generate about 16psi if I have calculated correctly.   I may extend the lever arms to about 36".  Would be very easy to do and would give me additional psi advantage over the 28". 

wharris

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
Well done.  I like the old school look.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:00:55 AM »
Nice looking press Mr Kim.

FarmerJd