Author Topic: Chomping at the cheese wheel  (Read 1788 times)

frankrip

Chomping at the cheese wheel
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi all!  My name is Frank and I'm from Bakersfield, CA.  A group of friends has been spending some time at a local wine bar partaking in the selection of available wine and beer, and munching on some wonderful cheese.  Several of the group had decided to have a go at beer making, so I said I would provide the cheese!  Not quite sure how to start, I wasn't holding up my end of the deal...until a recent visit with my sis in Seattle.  I found a great beer and cheese making shop in North Seattle and purchased a beginners cheese making kit.  Just got home from that trip and can't wait to make a go of it.  Already looking for a second hand fridge to use for curing  ;D

Doing all the research I can before I start...this forum rocks!!!

cdonaghe

Re: Chomping at the cheese wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
Welcome Frank, you will find a great support group here and in addition to all the great resources on this site, the people are extremely helpful.

You will enjoy this trip,
Charles

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
Welcome aboard, Frank. You've stumbled into a goldmine of information and great sources of advice and inspiration.

So, what kind of cheeses are your beermaking friends expecting from you? They can make beer a whole lot quicker than you'll deliver a lot of cheeses. What's first on your cheese horizon?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
Welcome Frank, tonnes of info here, Search tool is really useful if you have something specific, have fun!

frankrip

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:07:19 PM »
Welcome aboard, Frank. You've stumbled into a goldmine of information and great sources of advice and inspiration.

So, what kind of cheeses are your beermaking friends expecting from you? They can make beer a whole lot quicker than you'll deliver a lot of cheeses. What's first on your cheese horizon?

-Boofer-

My friends are not picky, so any cheese will do.  Would love to eventually whip up a batch of pecorino and cambazola!  In time...

Will start my first cheese today...it will be a bandon...if all goes well :)

9mmruger

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
Welcome aboard Frank.  You will love this site.  Lots of great people and information. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »
Welcome Frank -

Sounds like all you guys need now is a baker to go with the Beer and cheese! Nothing like a good strong ale, a hunk of cheese and a lovely loaf of fresh artisan bread (and maybe some pepperoni). Wonderful folks here!

ENjoy!

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:15 PM »
  I found a great beer and cheese making shop in North Seattle and purchased a beginners cheese making kit. 

Hey Frank!
What was the name of the Beer and Cheesemaking shop? I wasn't aware of any local shops that had any decent selection of cheesemaking supplies... I have found a couple Homebrew supply shops that have a *tiny* selection of items, but none that had any really good supplies....
Cheers!