Author Topic: How best to store my wrapped Cams?  (Read 1199 times)

Miss Muffet

How best to store my wrapped Cams?
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »
I finally have decent mould coverage on my first Cams and so am going to wrap them today.  What I am unsure about is how to store them whilst ripening them. 

I was recently given a Cam from a cheesemaking workshop I attended (which finally gave me the courage to try my own hand at it!) and was told to leave this Cam in the fridge for a week or so before eating to allow it to finish ripening.  We ate this one at 5 weeks but I found the skin very dry and it looked like the mould had died in patches.  That cheese was wrapped in aluminium foil and stored in my fridge which is at 3 - 5 C at the moment. 

I am concerned that it dried out in my fridge and obviously don't want the same happening to my precious first-borne.  So should I put my wrapped cheeses in a container or something to stop them from drying out in the fridge whilst they age? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

mtncheesemaker

Re: How best to store my wrapped Cams?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
Hi;
I wrap mine in cheese paper and put them back in their ripening box in the cheeses fridge (50F) until about 4 weeks. Then check them for ripeness and put them in the regular fridge and start eating.  ;D
Pam

Miss Muffet

Re: How best to store my wrapped Cams?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »
Thanks for that Pam.  I shall give that a go.