Author Topic: Bread Making Using Whey - Citrus Smell!?  (Read 2510 times)

Mondequay

Bread Making Using Whey - Citrus Smell!?
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
Today is baking day. I mix up my bread dough with whey on cheesemaking day and store the dough in the fridge until I am ready for it, usually a few days to a week later. I've done this for a year without an issue. This morning I opened the container of light wheat bread dough and it had a citrus smell instead of the usual yeast smell. I was so surprised that I smelled it several times trying to figure it out and convince myself that it was okay. I baked it up and the bread is fabulous as always ( and no one feels ill.)

I guess the dough was 'assisted' by some free-radical spores in the air, whether from cheese, beer, kombucha, kefir...

Has anyone else had such a pleasant cross-contamination?
Christine

coffee joe

Re: Bread Making Using Whey - Citrus Smell!?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
That Bread looks soooo good I may need to ask for the recipe. Please

Mondequay

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:12:20 AM »
Happy to share the recipe. The only thing I do differently is substitute whey for the liquid. I like the whey from a lactic cheese best. I've attached jpegs; hopefully they are readable for you.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »
Can't say I have experienced this but you you need a tester just to be sure know one gets ill let me know!

Beautiful loaf!

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »
I've been baking bread for 24 years and it just keeps getting better. So, in 24 years my cheese should be a masterpiece!

9mmruger

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
I agree, the bread looks fantastic.  A little wine, a little cheese, all is well!