Author Topic: Put The New Press Into Action  (Read 1664 times)

9mmruger

Put The New Press Into Action
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
Made a Caerphilly yesterday.  All went well.  Pressed in the new press.  It is in the brine this morning.  Looks and smelled wonderful.  Have a great day all!

Gina

Re: Put The New Press Into Action
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
Keep us posted. That is a cheese I've often thought of making.

How do you like your new press? A good press is another thing on my long 'cheese' wish-list. I've currently got a fresh parmesan being subdued under a stack of metal weights. :)

9mmruger

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »
The press worked like a charm.  My only complaint was the mold that I used.  I used a 4" x 15" white pvc mold and it was very hard to flip the cheese and reinsert into the mold.  I went out and got a 6" x 8" so it should be easier from here on.  I made the follower for it today, so next one will be a thicker wheel.   Cheese came out nice however, nice little 3lb cylinder 4" x 10". 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »
4 x 10 sounds just about perfect to me.  Sometimes the not so squared cheeses can be a PITA to reinsert especially when they are soft cheeses.

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
What I have noticed on my 7.25 wide wheels is that they are what I would consider thin, so I am hoping that the 6 wide wheel with be substantially thicker.  Should help my swiss eye development as well.