Author Topic: Trying to find GOOD cheese!... and Cheddar VS Brie  (Read 2334 times)

custard

Trying to find GOOD cheese!... and Cheddar VS Brie
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum.. and pretty new to the world of cheese. I just came back from working on farms in France for 2 months, and of course tasted a variety of cheeses while I was there, not to mention learned about and ate a great deal of eating organic and local food, VS the crap they sell at the supermarkets in Canada (home). I became much healthier and ate splendidly in France due to the drastic change in diet, and developed a newfound interest in all foods, especially cheese.

Anyway, now that I'm back home in Toronto, it's much harder to find fresh food that has not been sprayed with chemicals or injected with steroids. I ate cheddar for the first time a few days ago since I left, and my skin broke out in tons of pimples and my hair became very greasy the very same day that I ate the cheddar sandwich. Got hormones?

Now this cheddar was actually good cheddar - it was not cheap supermarket cheese that was stock full of modified milk ingredients and chemically altered. I don't know if it was certified organic, but it had no modified milk ingredients - the ingredients were simply the cheese, the calf enzyme, salt, and bacterial culture. But I still had a terrible reaction to it. So I did some research, and learned that cow's milk is much higher in hormones and fat than goat or sheep. It is also apparently harder to digest for humans, and is less similar to human milk than goat or sheep.

In France I ate a variety of cheeses. Many were goat and sheep, but I know I also consumed some cow cheese and had no reactions. Brie and Coloummiers for example, I ate a few times, but I did not know they are both cow cheeses. So now I ask, why did the Cheddar have such a hormonal and unnatural affect on me, but not the Brie and Coloummiers, if they are both derived from a cow?

Chris K

Re: Trying to find GOOD cheese!... and Cheddar VS Brie
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
Could be many factors... and you should try that cheddar again to see if that was really it.

And if it was the cheese, it could be many things, could have been what the milked animal ate, for example. Could have just reflected a change in your diet. The milk could have been 100% natural and you might still have reacted. Been tested for food allergies?

By the way- there are many, many producers whose product is 100% organic and natural... but they don't waste the money to pay for the certification and label. This is true of many (most?) small farms and producers.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Trying to find GOOD cheese!... and Cheddar VS Brie
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:55:19 PM »
By the way- there are many, many producers whose product is 100% organic and natural... but they don't waste the money to pay for the certification and label. This is true of many (most?) small farms and producers.

This is very true - especially of small producers. My milkmaid was telling me it costs a fortune and tons of time to get certified and it just isn't worth the cost.