Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Kitchen French Fry Cutter, Tin Plated  (Read 1940 times)

tally

Curd Cutter - Kitchen French Fry Cutter, Tin Plated
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
I have been using Margaret Morris' cheddar recipe in which she says to cut the curds with a french fry cutter. I have an antique french fry cutter made of tin. At least it is stamped with "heavily pure tinned" on the handle. Is this ok to use? Will tin adversely effect the cheese or the Ph? Any one know? Any one ever use one of these gadgets? Thanks for your help.

mcfly

Re: Curd Cutter - Kitchen French Fry Cutter, Tin Plated
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
Hey Tally

I'm not too sure about Tin to be honest but I think its best to be safe than sorry and just use a stainless steel cutter. I made a cheddar a while back and it didnt take that long to use a simple knife to get your curds cut into fries..

Good luck  8)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
I wouldn't think a quick pass through the cutter would hurt anything cheese wise but the acids from the cheese might affect the cutter quickly if not wash soon after use. I would guess to that would depend on how much cheese went through the thing. I can't imagine a home cheesemaker would be doing more than a few pounds at a time so it might take longer to properly wash the thing than it was worth. Use a knife.

tally

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
Thanks Steve and Debbie. Will do.

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »
We cut the curds from 24 gallons of milk by hand every time. Stack the slabs and get a big knife. WE cut into about 3/4 inch cubes; roughly; very roughly :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »
It really doesn't have to be perfect so don't worry - just enjoy the process! Once pressed we won't even know that some of the curds were square and some diamonds if you don't tell us.  ;)