Author Topic: age before smoking?  (Read 2086 times)

Laurels Crown

age before smoking?
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »
Greetings!
I am a newbie in the cheesemaking world.  I have read all the posts regarding cold smoking cheese.  I have learned a lot - particularly about the color of the smoke.  I have been using the tin can/soldering iron smoker which we lovingly refer to as the "Bubba Smoker".  The smoking is being done in my weber kettle.

I have not seen the question directly answered regarding the age and condition of cheese before smoking.  I made a 4 lb. wheel of gouda this week and put it in to smoke (using applewood BBQ wood chips) after removing it from the brine.  The cheese is a lovely gold color but during the smoking it seemed to be very wet and now it appears kind of "slumpy".  The moisture did not seem to be oil.  After taking it out of the smoker after about an hour, it is now air drying at room temp.

So.................

1. What temperature should the cheese itself be at before starting the smoking?

2.  How old should the cheese be before smoking? straight out of the brine? air-dry rind? 1 or more months?

Thanks!

FRANCOIS

Re: age before smoking?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
The cheese should be as cold as possible (but not frozen).

The cheese should have a rind on it (1-2 months) before smoking or you'll get what you discovered, excessive weepage of fat and moisture.

Laurels Crown

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:01:22 AM »
Thanks for the excellent advice!

Brie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »
Francois--what about smoking fresh mozzarella? 2 months would be too long for that.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:25:31 AM »
I was refering to this cheese in particular (gouda), as well as most semi-hard and hard cheeses.  Fresh cheese is different but still has to be cold.  You can also smoke high protein low fat cheeses very well too (like ricotta).  The only fresh cheese I have smoked was chev and it needed to be bound in cloth or leaves to keep it together.

Also, I have smoked Mozzerela at 2 months, but it's called provolone then.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
I'm getting ready to make a couple cheddars, one destined for smoking a little later when the weather gets cooler.  (Cold smoking becomes a euphamism when the ambient temp is already above 90°F).  I'm considering bandaging these to age them -- should I not bandage the one I intend on smoking?
--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »
Laurel - age the cheese first. It will deveolp a much finer flavor if given time to mature before smoking.

Mike - Some of the smoke will penetrate the bandage but most of the smokey goodness will get peeled off when you cut the cheese. If you bandage and then smoke I highly recommend bagging the cheese after so more of the smokiness will be absorbed into the cheese before you peel it.