Author Topic: Coagulated, Rennet, Cow, Raw - Poor Curd Set After Cow Drying Off & Changing Cow Type  (Read 6572 times)

linuxboy

Great! Don't get me wrong, the Redmond salts are really top notch as far as salt goes. But cows need a lot more than is found naturally even in the best salt. I don't remember what the feed place out in Ft bragg has, the one on 20, and also don't remember what the TSC by the airport or that feed place in Talmage has in Ukiah, but if you let me know brands they carry for mineral mixes, I can tell you which would work. Often I find that regular livestock performance mineral supplements work well. Anyway, let me know, we'll figure this out. Pretty sure it's a nutrition issue.

[edit] Check rainbow ag, too, but I doubt they'd have it. If there's nothing available, you can also go injectable route http://www.multiminglobal.com/usa/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:36:20 PM by linuxboy »

MrsKK

I've been top dressing my cow's feed with kelp.  It is in a dry form and contains all the trace minerals that dairy animals need.  Since my cow is finicky about eating it when offered free choice (unlike the salt), I just toss about a teaspoonful on her grain ration.  I also feed soaked beet pulp which is good for adding condition without overdoing the grains.

I hope she comes around for you soon.

BigCheese

Thanks. I actually have some organic kelp from Modesto Milling that we stopped feeding fro some reason. I will give her some tonight. I have a batch of yogurt going right now with her milk mixed with the Jerseys'. We'll see how it does.

Thank you for being so helpful and well-wishing.

linuxboy

Hope it works. Kelp is great stuff. It doesn't satisfy all the requirements everywhere, though. For example here in WA I still supplement my goats with additional copper and selenium.  If your other cow is milking well, I think you have enough calcium and macro elements in the regular forage and hay you feed, so maybe it's just a matter of giving an additional boost.

BigCheese

Cheeses to you both!

MrsKK

Why thank you! 

Please let us know how things progress.  If time (like a month or so) doesn't improve matters, you may need to consult a vet, just in case she has something going on that we can't diagnose for you over the Internet.

BigCheese

The milk seems to be improving. I got a good set with mixed milk from her and the Jerseys in only 7.5 hours incubation. For now we are going to keep on with the kelp, redmond block, and selenium block, and see what happens. Thanks for being so helpful.

mtncheesemaker

Hope she's on the road to recovery!
Pam

Gina

Glad to hear things are improving. I know next to nothing about cows, but could it be some sort of bovine emotional issue? Moving is very stressful for most creatures. When I adopt a new pet, it takes them some time to settle into their new surroundings. Perhaps she is now just getting comfortable in her new home and her milk is improving because of that. I dont know if stress can affect the quality of a cow's milk however.

When you hear hoof-beats, look for horses cows, not zebra. Meaning the simplest explanation is often the answer.

MrsKK

I'm so glad that things seem to be improving.  While moving is stressful, I can't imagine that the move to your home with lots of good, cow-appropriate feed and grazing, could have been negative stress in comparison to where she was.

You have done this girl a great service by rescuing her from the awful conditions she was being kept it.  You will be rewarded!

coco

Hi MrsKK *waving, I know you from KFC.

Nitai, Are you mixing her milk with the jersey milk from a cow that is drying off? Did I understand that right? You might consider the "drying off" cow could be part of the problem.  When my girl starts to dry off, everything goes off. My butter won't break, cheese won't set and milk doesn't last as long.
I don't know if that's your case, but could be something to consider.

MrsKK

Wave back at ya, Hojo...Sorry I don't remember you from there, but I haven't been there for some time.

tnsven

I'm going to second the kelp. My cows (sheep too) eat it over any mineral mix. And they eat it free choice.

I stopped feeding beet pulp after I found out they are all genetically modified now (as of 2 years ago, I believe). And they are really pushing the GMO alfalfa! It's not on the market just yet. Just seems we're running out of good things to supplement with!   >:(

Sounds like one happy cow there, Nitai.

BigCheese

Sorry I stopped getting notices of comments here via email. Thanks for all the feedback. She is definitely doing well, havent had time to really test the milk for curd sets though. We are not mixing her milk with a cow that is drying off, rather we are mixing it with 2 cows, one freshened 4 months ago, and one 2 months ago, more or less.

I got a great batch of yogurt but then my next was another dud. I want to ask more about that later...