Author Topic: This is the place...  (Read 1494 times)

BillC

This is the place...
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
This forum appears to be a great place to learn about making cheese... I have one type that I'm interested in making due to the unavailability of a commercial source without spending a bundle on shipping. I have purchased some of the ingredients and components to get a start, but; I hate to waste anything and I'm afraid to go ahead without more reading and study. So, here I am....

Limburger will need to be formed and I'm thinking about using some re-sawen butcher block maple to finger joint some boxes of the appropriate size...or are these forms commercially available? A type of plastic may be better?

Thanks,
Bill C.

wharris

Re: This is the place...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
Old school moulds were certainly made of wood. 

What kind of wood?  I'm not sure.  I *think* if you search hard enough in this forum, you will find some discussion of correct wood species selection for wood moulds.
If you are going to use plastic, I would use High-density polyethylene  (HDPE) plastic. Tap Plastics is good source for that.

I preferr Stainless Steel when I can. When I do buy stainless steel (for my curd cutter....) I buy from here. Online Metal Store.

Specifically, I would stay away from regular steel, or Aluminum (aluminium for our UK cheese folks).  The acid in the whey will react and may interact with those metals.

Having never made Limburger, I don't know what kind of mould is used.  I could easily imagine having to make a mould for this.

But others have made limburger,  They might have a better insight.

9mmruger

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum BillC.  You will gain incredible insights here.  I know of some Amish cheese makers that use bread pans for their Limburger.  Fairly inexpensive and easily available.  I have never made it myself.  You must like the strong stuff huh!

BillC

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
Stainless steel - why didn't I think of that? Thanks....

Thing about Limburger is that you don't smell it if you're eating it.... and your friends will be eating it too.... the rest will get over it 'cause it doesn't linger very long.

The size of small loaf bread pans....yes.

Bill C.

clherestian

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »
Here is a snippet on Limburger molds from Cheese Making by John Decker:

When the curd is firm enough the whey is drawn down so that it just covers the curd as is done in making brick cheese. The Limburger mold is made just like the brick mold with the exception that it is twenty inches long instead of ten

And here is now he describes the brick cheese molds:

The brick cheese mold is a rectangular box without bottom or top. The common size is ten inches long by five inches wide and eight inches deep. In some localities they are eight and a half instead of ten inches in length.

I just realized that pic is the draining table. There is a pic of the molds that I meant to post. Let me see if i can find it again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:49:54 PM by clherestian »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »
Welcome Bill. I was thinking about this for awhile myself and I finally go to smell some at the Cheese store in Wisconsin - changed my mind after that!

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
Bill C, welcome, for more ideas, there are several posts/threads on Limburger, Search Tool works well, have fun!

FarmerJd

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on the limburger.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
And here is now he describes the brick cheese molds:

The brick cheese mold is a rectangular box without bottom or top. The common size is ten inches long by five inches wide and eight inches deep. In some localities they are eight and a half instead of ten inches in length.

I was looking for a brick or loaf-shaped cheese mold. I just got one from Ullmer's Dairy:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4263.msg34633.html#msg34633

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.