Author Topic: sheep's milk in SF Bay area  (Read 4280 times)

andreark

sheep's milk in SF Bay area
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
I just found out that Haverton Hill Creamery is now selling ewes milk in quart bottles at selected
retail stores in the Bay area.  Some of the Whole Foods stores will also be stocking it. 

It is not raw, but is gently pasteurized at 150 degrees.  The creamery has a list of the locations where
it can be found on it's web site,  havertonhill.com.   Great news, but be warned, it's very pricey!

andreark

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: sheep's milk in SF Bay area
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:04:44 PM »
I saw it at $12 a quart....
Susan

andreark

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
Whole Foods said it would be $10.95.  Pretty steep but I ordered some for next week.  This will be interesting.

andreark

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
I saw it at $12 a quart....

Holy Cow!  Well, holy sheep!  Surely there's got to be other sources, no?
- Paul

andreark

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
No!!!  All of the rest of the sheep farms/dairies around here don't sell to the public.  And Haverton Hill just started selling to the public. 

I hope it's not worth it.  Then I won't be tempted to buy this liquid gold too often.   The Jersey raw that I get is $7.50 a quart.  That's bad enough.

andreark

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
Andrea, wow!  I pay 7 a gallon for raw Ayrshire milk, and it's seriously top shelf milk, grazed, pampered beyond belief cows.  CA allows the sale of raw milk at so many venues - I can't believe there isn't a farmer's market or other source somewhere within driving distance, to get a more reasonable cost?  $30 a gallon for cow's milk?  That's an incredible gouging....something on the par of the infamous $50 hamburger out of Boulud's, NY. 

Edit:  Here, for instance - from the Campaign for Real Milk site.

San Francisco:

The Good Life Grocery carries Claravale raw milk at both locations: 1524 20th St San Francisco CA 94107; phone: 415-282-9204; and Bernal Heights, 448 Cortland Ave, San Francisco CA 94110; phone: 415-648.3221.

Little Vine, 1541 Grant Avenue, San Francisco CA 94133; phone: 415-738-2221; email: melissa@shoplittlevine.com; web: shoplittlevine.com. Claravale raw milk products as well as many raw cheeses from Sierra Nevada, Bellwether Farm, and Meadow Creek Farm. All cow milk so far, but looking to expand.

Other Avenues Co-op, 3930 Judah Street, San Francisco CA 94122; phone: 415-661-7475. Open 9am-9pm every day except holidays.

Rainbow Groceries, 1745 Folsom Street, San Francisco CA 94103; phone: 415-863-0620; email: pr@rainbow.coop. Open weekdays 9am-9pm.+

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:47:01 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
I believe Claravale is about $20 gallon and is Jersey. Others are Holstein, and usually a bit less then $20.
Susan

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
Wow.  I guess I should count myself lucky, that just seems insane to me.  I pay 6 or 7 per gallon, depending on who I go with.  The 7 is from purebred Ayrshires, and truly is the finest milk I've ever tasted, and worked with thus far.  I'm nuts for it.
- Paul

andreark

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »

I live in the East Bay about 50 miles east of San Francisco.  None of the stores or co-ops that are close to me charge any less than the store where I buy it.  I think there are a couple of other places in the Bay area that charge less, but it's not worth the long drive and cost of gas for me to get it at those places.

I believe that I've read about Aryshire milk, but I don't believe that I've seen it here in California.  Do you know of any place where I could get here in Cal?

andreark

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:22:18 PM »
Andrea, unfortunately I don't know anyone out that way with Ayrshires.  They're not that common among cheesemakers, I believe, though I don't know why.  Great milk components, very small fat globules - the milk comes out of the cow virtually homogenized.  I know Jasper Hill out of Vermont has a full Ayrshire herd, but I don't know anyone else offhand who does.  I'm very sorry. 

I'm also sorry about the cost of raw milk out your way.  That's just such a bummer.  I'll keep putting my thinking cap on, and let you know if I come up with anything.
- Paul