Author Topic: Mold - Bright Yellow!  (Read 4320 times)

Pev

Mold - Bright Yellow!
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »
So I've been working on a gouda and it's been aging for 1 month.  Over the last few days, though, I've had this bright yellow mold on the outer edges that is concerning me.  It looks... unnatural.  However, I have an untrained eye so can someone give me some feedback on how this looks?

Bowl

Re: Mold - Bright Yellow!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
I am quite the amateur, though I'll try to help...

Try bathing it in some brine. That may help...  :)

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
Hard to tell but that almost looks like B. linens. How does it smell?

Pev

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:53:38 AM »
It was starting to smell VERY strong and kind of funny so, after some more research, I opted to brine the cheese again for about an hour which took off 90% of the discolored areas mold. I have since rubbed it down and have it back in my cheese fridge on some drying racks. I have to say that I don't think I had brined it enough the first time. It now seems to have a thicker outer layer which wasn't acheived upon my first brine.

I have also removed the lid I had on it because I think I wasn't cleaning enough of the perspiration off of it, or cleaning it, as I should've been doing more frequently.  I plan to brine again in 3 days to get the remaining discoloration removed.

Sound like a plan?  Lol

Alex

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »
Brining: Brine in saturated salt brine for 3-4 hours for every 1 lb of cheese, flipping at least once.
Cleaning spots: Make a salt and vinegar solution and scrub the unwanted spots until completely removed.