Author Topic: Vat, Stockpot - Painted Aluminium Ok?  (Read 3620 times)

Bowl

Vat, Stockpot - Painted Aluminium Ok?
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
This may seem like a pretty daft question...

If you buy an aluminium pot for your cheese and it is painted... would this still ruin the cheese and be dangerous?

Thanks.

MrsKK

Re: Vat, Stockpot - Painted Aluminium Ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »
do you mean painted on the inside?  I'd worry about flecks of the paint coming off.  I'm not familiar with anything like what you are describing, though.

Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Gina

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »
I sure wouldnt do that. As Karen said, flecks of paint would likely come off, especially since making cheese requires stirring.

Until you can get a ss pot, you might consider using a large food-grade white plastic bucket in a container/sink of hot water, and dont make cheeses that require higher cooking temperatures. You can sometimes get them used and free by asking at deli and bakery counters in grocery stores.

Of course using plastic to prepare foods has as many pros and cons as does using aluminum. :)

Bowl

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
Thanks very much  :)

Where did you get yours?

KosherBaker

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
This may seem like a pretty daft question...

If you buy an aluminium pot for your cheese and it is painted... would this still ruin the cheese and be dangerous?

Thanks.
Hey Bawl. Are you sure there is such a thing as a painted pot. :) Did you mean a Porcelain Enameled pot? Like the ones used for canning, made of steel or ones made of cast iron like Le Creuset and Staub?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:17:19 AM by KosherBaker »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:54:13 AM »
I was wondering if he meant something like teflon or tefal oe one of those things.

Bowl

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »
I think I meant the enamel ones.  :)

Though I've decided to use a large food grade bucket and heat it up in water in the sink.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
Here is what I started with.
Actually, like you, I started with a 5 gallon food grade bucket in lieu of the pictured 5 gallon SS pot.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,93.msg2407.html#msg2407

KosherBaker

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »

Though I've decided to use a large food grade bucket and heat it up in water in the sink.
I believe the enameled ones are not reactive and should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
BTW, stores like Target (and perhaps other discounters like Walmart and Kmart) carry canning kettles during certain parts of the year (like canning season). They are reasonably inexpensive for their size, however the enamel on them does chip rather easily. Perhaps, something to check out if you happen to be in the store anyway.

wharris

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »
I would imaging that the enamel would take a beating from the constant whisking and stirring.  Maximizing the chance of enamel flakes in the cheese.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:12:55 PM by Wayne Harris »

KosherBaker

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
I would imaging that the enamel would take a beating from the constant whisking and stirring.  Maximizing the change of enamel flakes in the cheese.
Thank you Wayne. That answers all of my questions then.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »

I believe the enameled ones are not reactive and should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
BTW, stores like Target (and perhaps other discounters like Walmart and Kmart) carry canning kettles during certain parts of the year (like canning season). They are reasonably inexpensive for their size, however the enamel on them does chip rather easily. Perhaps, something to check out if you happen to be in the store anyway.

enamel is okay as long as there are no chips cracks oe deep scratches - like new!