Author Topic: Starter Culture, Liquid - Amount?  (Read 4107 times)

Bowl

Starter Culture, Liquid - Amount?
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
Hi, Im planning to make some edam.

The recipe calls for 4 oz of starter for 1 gallon of milk.

I am planning on making it with 4 gallons, so will I need 16oz of starter culture?

It just seems like a massive amount...

Please help!

linuxboy

Re: Starter Culture, Liquid - Amount?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
1.5% starter. About 8 ounces for 4 gal milk.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »
I think not the dried kind but the kind you culture yourself.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »
Oh yes this is definately not the commercial cultures you could not aford to make cheese if it were!

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 04:29:17 AM »
So what is it? Buttermilk? I can't think of any starter where you need so much per gallon. Dry Mesophilic culture is only 1/8 teaspoon per gallon....

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:48:39 AM »
You can make a homemade Mesophilic starter culture from cultured buttermilk or a Thermophilic Starter Culture from Yogurt. Many of us use(d) them quite extensively for years. I did for the first 28 years I made cheese. I never used a commercially manufactured culture until three years ago. I used buttermilk, yogurt and Junket for the first 27 years of my cheesemaking. I believe Alex and Karen still use them quite I bit. I am just having fun experimenting with the new cultures right now.

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Yes, that's what I asked - is this a buttermilk starter recipe? I then added my comment about the dry starter. I always use the commercial starters because they give me a lot of freedom and predictability (and the cost per dose is lower) and the ability to really control many of the characteristics of the end product. How much buttermilk do you use per gallon?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:14:24 AM »
Yes this would no doubt be a buttermilk based starter culture the recipe calls for but just like with commercial cultures you can combine a meso and a thermo culture to achieve different results. Commercial cultures are so easy to predict and to use I have gotten rather spoiled and lazy using them as of late but when or if I want to I can also go back to making my own.

Bowl

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »
So should I use 16 oz?

Or should I add less and see if I get a clean break in the curds?

Mondequay

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
I read in another post to use 4 ounces per gallon of milk but LB says to use 1.5%. That will save a lot of buttermilk!

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
Yes, for bulk starters use 1.5-2% for most cheeses. This has to be active, living starter at the peak of its life (about 12-24 hours old). The only reason to use more is if the starter is old and has low counts of viable bacteria.

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »
I doubt store-bought cultured buttermilk is *THAT* fresh

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
Then you have to adjust for the expected percentage of degradation and use the right amount. It's why I never use commercial buttermilk starter, because I have no clue where it's been. I was answering the question thinking it was bulk starter. My bad. If it's buttermilk starter, I would take the buttermilk and reculture it so you're working with the freshest starter possible. And then use 1.5%

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 03:50:42 AM »
I believe the process for making a buttermilk or yougurt starter in in the begining of the forum under the recipes section. Once it is made you can freese the starter in ice trays should be about 3 tablespoons per 1 gallon of milk so adjust the amount of cubes according to what size you have.