Author Topic: Set to Start first Camembert & Petit Brie this weekend?  (Read 11932 times)

Melle12

Re: Set to Start first Camembert & Petit Brie this weekend?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
Hey ConnieG,
I am not sure when I will try them - nice to have 2, so I can see how they vary with age.  I started them about 2.5 weeks ago, wrapped them this past weekend, and I am thinking of maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7 weeks.  I have my fingers crossed- they look good (as far as I know) and they don't have any significant odor (I have heard a lot of talk on the boards about ammonia smell?).  I want to try them and maybe have enough time to get another batch ready for Thanksgiving.
:-)

ConnieG

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 02:32:15 AM »
That looks beautiful - I'll be interested to hear your impressions.    It's fun to think of the season the cheeses will come ripe  in.  I'm planning on Christmas cheeses.

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
They look lovely, I'd be excited if I had mine turn out looking like that. I haven't made Camembert yet, I need to get some of the molds like yours. I just have a large Tomme type mold now.

~Laurie
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Melle12

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 12:31:53 AM »
Thanks- I am both optimistic and nervous, and I plan to start another batch shortly, so that we have something for Thanksgiving (probably running out of time as we speak).  I have them aging in my cheese fridge- wrapped in a rubbermaid container and a small bowl of water.  I will post when I unwrap them- probably another 3 weeks.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to hear your impressions and maybe see some pics when you unwrap them. They look really good.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Melle12

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »
I opened my first camembert today- created on 8/21 (6 weeks ago), and I am not sure how I did.  I am not familiar with camembert, but I have chosen to make them as a gift to my Grandmother (she's 91,  from Luxembourg, and they are her favorite).  There is a faint ammonia smell when I put my face up to the cheese, and the consistency is sort of sticky...not runny, but more like cream cheese.  I like the taste which I wouldn't call strong (kind of medium), but I don't care for the consistency of the rind (strange mouth feel compared to the soft cheese).  I have the other half of this batch still in the fridge, and I plan to give that one another week or so for comparison- in the mean time I might need to find someplace to try a prepared cam.  Thanks for all the feedback!

ConnieG

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
It's really beautiful - look at your rind.  I think that further aging will bring this cheese to be more like its target.  Camms and eating them change with aging - from the youngest which you have opened to an older runny cheese whose smell will attempt to chase you around the kitchen whilst daring you to eat it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
Wow, beautiful cheese. Looks like perfect textbook rind.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 12:30:28 AM »
Really fine looking cheese Melle. Congrats on earning your first cheese!

Melle12

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
Here is Camembert #2 being wrapped- hopefully these will be ripe for Thanksgiving :-)  They are a little larger than my first set and a seemed to get a little out of shape.  I over cultured my first batch, so this time I left out the meso and added geo (left in flora danica & pencillium candidum plus rennet/H2O).

Melle12

Re: Set to Start first Camembert & Petit Brie this weekend? (UPDATE)
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
I wanted to provide updates since I don't know what I would do without all the help and information on these boards.  We were able to eat my second attempt at camember for Thanksgiving- a gift for my 91 yo Grandma from Luxembourg, and while I don't think camembert will ever be my favorite cheese, she seemed very happy.  They had a nice thick consistency and a distinct smell and flavor.  Thanks for all the useful information! :-)