Author Topic: Parmesan Failure  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Parmesan Failure
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
I have had good success getting to rice-sized curds by using a good long whisk and sweeping back and forth (or to and fro, if that works better  ;) ) before the temperature is raised. I believe once the temp is raised and the surface of the curds hardens, there won't be much cleaving the curds at that point.

I swallowed what pride I had when I posted that "dark side" expose'. I figured someone might benefit from my failure. I certainly did!  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

wharris

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »
A couple of quick things:

Cultures:
While both TA61 (what I use) and (your) YC-380 both contain Streptococcus thermophilus,
I add LH100 which contains:
•   (LH) Lactobacillus helveticus
•   (LBL) Lactobacillus lactis
The Lactobacillus helveticus does several things, to include the prevention of browning.
But you also add Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. Bulgaricus as this is included in your YC-380.
From what I understand, this is typically used in the production of yogurt. So, I’m not sure what that means to Parmesan.

Enzymes:
While this should not affect your curd production, I saw no mention of Lipase. To me, this gives the parmesan its distinctive "tang"..  It’s hard to describe.

Rennet:
You mention that you used Renco Rennet, but did not provide any dosage information, or flocculation time.  Both of these greatly affect curd production.   I use a dosage of 9ml rennet to 100lbs milk, diluted to at 1:40.     I also use a flocculation multiplier of 2X.  That is I measure how much time for the curd to initially set, then wait that amount of time again before cutting the curd. This also affects your curd.  The longer you wait, the more moisture is contained in the curd.

These are the things that jump out at me right away.   There are other recipes in this section that show how others have fared.  You might look at Marks’ parmesan posts as I know he has been all over parmesan lately.

ancksunamun

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 02:46:25 AM »
Thank you for all that information Wayne. It's always excellent to get support from the experts.

I have also been recommended to try a STB01. Does this meet any of the criteria you mentioned?

I have never added Lipase to any of my cheeses as yet as the cheesemaker I learnt from did not use it at all and did not recommend it. Plus all of the recipes I have mention that it is optional. As a bit of a novice still, are you able to sum up for me what Lipase does. I understand it enhances and adds comlexity to the flavour?

For my rennet I use 7mls to 10 litres. My parmesan had a flocculation point of 17 minutes and I used a multiplier of x2. I am only just getting used to this method (having just gone for the suggested time and looking for the clean cut in the past) so I am crossing my fingers for success every time.

I will take a look at Mark's posts, thank you. I really appreciate your time in replying.

Anck

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 03:09:56 AM »
Lipase is an enzyme, not a flavor enhancers. As the cheese ages, the lipase is an integral part of long term proteolysis and flavor development.

Raw milk does contain highly variable quantities of naturally occurring lipase, so some cheese makers in various parts of the world can get by without adding any extra. I don't consider lipase an option when making Italian type cheeses. For most of us, it is an essential ingredient. Without it, you just won't get that classic Parmesan smell and flavor.

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. Bulgaricus adds a more complex flavor to the mix.

ancksunamun

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 03:30:57 AM »
Thanks Sailor

I just did a big read up and I think I have my head around Lipase now. The raw milk I get is fantastic quality so I wonder how much natural Lipase occurs in it. I guess I'll never know but regardless, it looks like I will be buying some Lipase for my next Parmesan attempt.

Maybe it was fate that my first attempt didn't work out. Lipase protest from the universe!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:42:16 AM »
I would love to get this right as we eat a ton of Parmesan and it's only right that a girl with Italian blood can make Italian cheese right?  ;)

I feel the same way - probably why my consentration is normally Italian cheeses.

I find these things to be important to keep the cloth from sticking
wetting the cheesecloth with the warm whey prior to use
staring with a lighter weight to press  for the first 15 minutes flip then press again before raising pressure
keeping the curds  around 80°F no higher than 85°F when pressing

Gina

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:19 AM »
I would love to get this right as we eat a ton of Parmesan and it's only right that a girl with Italian blood can make Italian cheese right? ;)

LOL, another gal of Italian descent here. That's probably why my last several hard cheeses have been parmesans and asiagos. And there is another asiago make scheduled for tomorrow. I want to make a good number of these yummy cheeses so some will actually stand a chance to make it to a year of aging.  ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
Of the 27 diferent types cheeses I made this year 3 were French, 3 Dutch, 1 American and the rest Italian.