Author Topic: Seeking to buy canned blue cheese  (Read 12781 times)

NACRAJON

Seeking to buy canned blue cheese
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:30:43 AM »
I'm seeking information on where to buy canned blue cheese (if such thing exists) over the internet.

Background.
Currently in 3rd world country for next four months for work and really missing my tasty cheese. Desire a blue cheese that can handle being posted to tropical country with the likelyhood of sitting in a stinking hot shipping container for several weeks without going bad.

Regards
Jon

Cheese Head

Re: Seeking to buy canned blue cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:28:45 AM »
NACRAJON

Sorry for the delay just saw your post, good question. My family and I were posted for 5 years in Brunei, SE Asia, hot and humid all year round, wonderful place. But, a non-cooled 20 or 40 ft sea shipping container is no place for almost all cheeses nor for wine!

All our cheese was flown brought in in cooled reefers. But there was one cheese that wasn't, it was a in a 10 cm/4 in diameter round by 6 cm/2 in tall tin made by Kraft in Australia, basically it was along the lines of Kraft's Velveeta "cheese"..

Never saw any nice unrefrigerated cheese like blue, sorry and good luck.

One idea when flying, as one of your pieces of luggage, take a plastic cooler (ie Coleman or Eski depending where in the world you are), and pack it solid with cool cheeses in middle and frozen meat around the outside and tape closed. We used to do this with meats and frozen limeade for making Margaritas, lasted about 24 hour door to door.

cheesenovice

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
I wonder how the hot weather and the airtight condition (being sealed up in a can) will affect the mold and the cheese...

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
I cant imagine it will be very good since canning involves heat and pressure so it will melt and "rejoin" after the can has cooled.

An interesting option would be to brine an aged blue like a feta (after its been aged for 60-90 days) so you will have some blue pungency but it wont be as creamy and will be very salty.
It should be able to keep without refrigiration.

Blue Monday

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
Yeah, this would be a rather hard one to work, however with that in mind I remember reading about a rockstar who was playing in china (I think) and they all started throwing cans of cheese at him, because he liked cheese - as you can imagine though he was rather "cheesed off" (sorry :)) about this as they hurt him - however, it was just a sign of appreciation/affection.

Anyways, I would suggest looking online at some chinese websites, I am sure you will find everything you need.

good luck.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:21:14 AM by Blue Monday »

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
Ive seen "canned" cheese (it was in a cardboard box with mylar layer) in Egypt,
Its a thermo spreadable cheese with preservatives and its shelf stable for months\years and it does get really hot there in the summer (40-50c).

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
OK , I know I'm ressurecting a very old thread , but just found it while doing some research on the same subject.

Here it is , Canned Blue Cheese , a kind of Stilton actually , one of my own design.

I have been looking into canning cheese over the last few months , and have visited some of the canning and survivalist forums wher people have been canning all kinds of cheese with great success , so I finally decided to try my own.

I water bath processed this for about 30 minutes , the new texture is exactly what I like , it is spreadable on toast , kind of like a thick peanut butter , the taste did not change at all , a success I would say.

This one is just a test to see how it would survive the process.

The next one I can , will be done in a pressure canner and kept long term to see how it ages in the jar , I have heard from others that it continues to age and develop more flavor , so I will report back on that when I have some results.

I will be doing more of this , it's kind of like opening a jar of cheez whiz , but it's real cheese !

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:06:37 PM by jwalker »

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »
A spreadable non-processed cheese. Nice work jwalker!