Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 2463 times)

ancksunamun

Would this work?
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:05 AM »
I wondered what your thoughts would be on whether this item I found would work for Cams and Bries?

Or are the holes too big? They are 1cm in diameter.

Just a thought.

9mmruger

Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
Anck, I'm thinking that the holes may be a bit large and the curd would ooze out.  Of course you could wrap them with nylon screening or cheesecloth.  Kinda make a sock for them to fit into.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
I agree -- the holes look a little bit on the large side.  Muslin works well for making cheese - in my opinion better than cheese cloth for many applications - and would do the trick here for initial draining.  Your only problem would be the "squishing" of the curd (even contained by the cloth) through the holes.  While not a huge problem, it may lead to some handling problems. 

There are some really nice stainless steel molds available at ullmer's which can be found at: http://www.ullmers-dairyequipment.com/cheesemolds.htm  I particularly like (and have a couple of each) CM111 and CM115 ...  They're not very pricey either..  You can make followers quite easily from poly cutting boards.

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

Alex

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
I alter many kinds of moulds and hoops for different cheeses. Actually, the Camembert and Brie are the only ones I had to stick to the commercial ones.

ancksunamun

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks for your feedback. I thought the holes might be a problem.

No harm in asking though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »
I think someone (sorry I can't remember who) tried something like that and it workd okay for cheeses that didn't require a lot of pressure. The cheese cloth or muslin or large nakerchiek will hold it fairly well.