Author Topic: purchasing calcium chloride  (Read 2310 times)

Offline jbau

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
purchasing calcium chloride
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
Is there any chance of finding calcium chloride in a grocery, drug, feed store? I'm in Phoenix and can mail order it from a cheese site, but would like to have it quicker if possible. Any ideas?
thanks
Jennifer

Offline Gina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Was that the frig door?
Re: purchasing calcium chloride
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »
Is there any chance of finding calcium chloride in a grocery, drug, feed store? I'm in Phoenix and can mail order it from a cheese site, but would like to have it quicker if possible. Any ideas?
thanks
Jennifer
I tried but was unable to find it locally in my part of SoCal (not a metropolis) in pharmacies or pet stores (It's used in some aquaria), though you might try calling places in your area and asking. I even had tried the local druggist who pride themselves in selling 'odd' chemicals - he could order it, but couldn't give me a price nor time of it's arrival. No thanks, I'll order it directly. I ended up getting my last batch of dry calcium chloride via ebay. It was food grade and sold as 'pickle crisp'. It only took a few days to get here. IIRC, it was about $7 including delivery for 4 oz dry. I've heard of better deals in the past, but that was the best for food grade when I was buying. :)

If you go through the regular cheese making sites, they are quite fast in delivery.  Anything I have ever ordered has only taken a few days to get here.
A watched cheese never ages...

Offline mtncheesemaker(Pam)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
Re: purchasing calcium chloride
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
I got mine at the local brew/winemaking shop.