Author Topic: New Extech 110  (Read 5100 times)

clherestian

Re: New Extech 110
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
I wanted to give an update on my troubles with the Extech ph110. I called Extech and talked with their tech support. In the end, they sent me a new meter, and the new one seems to work perfectly.

soleuy

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Hello everybody!!!! and first of all excuses for my English; I´m Argentine living in Uruguay and even though Ihave studied English at school that was long time ago.
I´m new in cheese making, I began doing them this year:initially because we have two cows and it was too much milk. Then I´have noticed I like it: half way between cooking and laboratory ( I'm a biologist but I'm not being working in my profession since 1998). I´have done an on-line course and  with the help of a little book, and an Italian forum ( i lived almost two years there so I understand and  I try writing like I´m doing now,most of the time in a sort of funny way and with  a lot of work).
I´m in a hurry now so I go to the point I need some help. I want to buy a pH metre, I bought one in the past it was a very cheap one and didn't work well.
Phmeter  for cheese making are very expensive here 300- 600 usd I cant afford that . But  my sister is travelling to USA in December and she will stay in New York and Boston for almost two weeks and perhaps she can buy me one there.I read a lot of people uses a
Extech PH110 Exstik Waterproof / Refillable pH Meter (PH-110, PH110)

This has a refillable ph electrode, I want to know haw frequently is it necessary to refile it. Perhaps it won´t to be easy to me to get the solution or maybe yes it´s only a Cl K solution?. And what about the electrode do you recommend me to buy an spare electrode (ph115) and t the removal tools and junctions (PH13).
It says it works for solids too it`s true?

Thanks for all  Saludos desde el sur Soledad

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
Yes, the solution is just saturated KCl, about 3.5 M. You can make it yourself.

You need to refill it whenever the solution fouls up, which does not happen very often, perhaps once a year with frequent use.

Yes, it is a good idea to buy a spare electrode. As for the junctions, it's up to you. I find with dairy, it is not the electrode itself that becomes clogged, but the junctions. The electrode you can clean from protein and biofilm by soaking it in pepsin or rennin, and by soaking in a HCl solution. But when the reference junctions are fouled up, it is not easy to fix them. The two types of electrodes I use have either special teflon or extended life ceramic junctions, and they hold up very well. Not sure what the Extech junctions are made of.

And don't forget to buy reference solution, or make it yourself.

soleuy

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »
Thanks for your complete answer. I wrote to Amazon and The Human Solution, now  I must see if it is possible to coordinate the delivery, because it would be to a transitory residence of people that will be lots of time outside.  I hope finally I can get the pH meter!!!

And I wish in the future I can write about cheeses. I made Mozarrella, Caciocavallo , Tomme, Petit Suisse but I´m still learning. Also   I tried doing another cheeses like Taleggio and Crescenza but I´m not happy with the results.

Saludos Soledad

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
And I wish in the future I can write about cheeses. I made Mozarrella, Caciocavallo , Tomme, Petit Suisse but I´m still learning. Also   I tried doing another cheeses like Taleggio and Crescenza but I´m not happy with the results.

Saludos Soledad
soleuy,

I find your English to be very good. Not a problem, but a pleasure to read. I am using the Extech pH100. I decided to go with it because it is not fillable. My reasoning was that I will not be using it constantly and it works quite well for my purposes.

If you have any photos, they are most welcome and help us to envision your cheeses. Looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

soleuy

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »
Boofer,

Thanks for your advice. I have some photos, but my cheeses are not very beautiful yet. I add next week, I´m a little busy because I have guests from Argentina for three days .
I´ll be in touch, and if I do big mistakes with the English tell me, especially if the writing has no sense.
Hasta pronto, Soledad

I add one photo to prove if I can do it !!!and to show the uruguayan landscape with  the "mate" next to the cheeses. Well I can´t preview so I don´t really know if the photo was attached, I will post it . Sorry if it isn´t there