Author Topic: Parmesan Recipe question  (Read 6013 times)

MrsKK

Re: Parmesan Recipe question
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
I use my utility sink (many are in found laundry rooms), so it is a really deep, wide sink.  It is made of some plasticky/PVC type material, maybe fiberglass, and doesn't hold heat really well, but after putting the lid on the kettle, I put a boot tray over the top of the sink and then cover it all with a heavy towel.

I still have to replace the hot water about every 30 minutes to an hour, depending upon how warm the room is, but it is more consistent than the stovetop.  Also, my hot tap water runs about 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'll have to think about your idea of insulating the sink, as the water at the bottom is always much colder than toward the top of the sink.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:21:50 AM »
I keep a teapot full of hot water on the stove and add a little every few minutes in the winter. My basement isn't heated and the sink is stainless steel so it cools quickly.

hammerhead

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
I have some nesting SS kettles, 3, 3.5, and 4 gallons, and nest two of them with the smaller one holding the milk, and the bigger one acting as a water jacket. It keeps the milk stable for a long time, and can be used to raise the temp of the milk without diluting or scorching. When nesting, there is about an inch gap all the way around. If you add just the right amount of water, the milk kettle will be just buoyant enough to put little stress on the handles.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
Thanks Karen.  Holding a temperature is an issue I have been working on.  I tried it in the sink with hot tap water (comes out about 110).  But it cooled too quickly.  I'm thinking of putting some insulation around the sink bowl under the sink.  I still need a 'cheese cave' but working on it.  Then I'm going to branch out.  Can't wait!
Susan
I use a big aluminum steamer pot as a double boiler and suspend my SS milk kettle inside of it. Once I get the milk to temperature, the heat on the big pot is off and the milk in the kettle holds its heat for 60 minutes or longer. If it needs to be tweaked up a bit, the big pot goes on for a bit. Works well for me. I tried the sink deal but it cooled off fairly quickly or drained away.  >:(

Sounds like hammerhead and I are on the same page.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 04:54:10 AM »
Okay, I realize that this is an old post but I haven't been on here in awhile. So........

as for the rennet stirring: I also did a lot of my early cheese making according to the same site the original poster referred to and found that the stir time was WAY too long.
Now I stir the rennet in for exactly 60 seconds, quite vigorously. Then I stop the motion of the milk with my ladle.

As for heating/cooking I'm lazy so I do not use a double boiler. I simply put a very heavy bottomed cheese pot over the burner and moniter closely. I'm not saying this is the proper method but I've found that with a double boiler I always go way over the approximate times given in a recipe.
Now I do use a Ph meter so I guess the timing isn't all that important but I still like to see my makes come out at least close to the recipe I'm using.
I have had a problem with cooking too quickly and it's something that I'm working on. I might have to go back to a double boiler setup to achieve my goals in this area.

My main problem has been with Monterey Jack style cheese. No matter what I do this cheese does not turn out ofr me and I'm certain that it has to do with the cook part of the make.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them since I have both red and green jalepenos just wating to go into a cheese.

Okay, that's enough for now. Sometimes I get carried away when it comes to cheese chat. :)

Dave

Chicken man

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:38 AM »
Hi Folks.
I read somewhere and practice stirring for at least 1 minute and no more than 3 minutes.
I usually stir for only 2 minutes.