Author Topic: Wrapping Blue Cheese  (Read 1152 times)

Brentsbox

Wrapping Blue Cheese
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
This is my first time at making a blue cheese.  I went by  a recipe from David B. Fankhauser, Phd., http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Blue_Cheese/Blue_Cheese.htm and in his recipe he says to wrap the cheese in a clean cloth and turn once a day.   Reading Ricki Carroll's book and recipe, she does not say anything about wrapping the cheese in a cloth. 

I have taken a refrigerator that I wasn't using and set it of for a cheese cave keeping the temp at 50F and the humidity at 70%   The cheese seems to be developing well and its only been 1 week. 

My question is this:  Do I have to keep the cheese wrapped in a clean cloth or can I remove the cloth and just set it directly in the cave on a wire rack?   Also,  will the mold on the cheese effect any other cheeses that I put in the cave if it isn't covered?

This block is 4.5 inches wide by about 3.5 inches tall.   This is at day 7
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:12:13 AM by Brentsbox »

9mmruger

Re: Wrapping Blue Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
You may want to consider putting into a sterile ripening container, with a loose lid, such as a Tupperware.  Make sure you put some moisture into the container as well.  Some use a wet paper towel.