Author Topic: 1st Traditional Cheddar Attempt  (Read 4644 times)

coffee joe

Re: 1st Traditional Cheddar Attempt
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 12:16:06 AM »
Do you use a hot water bath or direct heat?
I had a similar result the one time I had my cheese pot over a gas flame that I didn't control well. Now I'm using hot water bath and never had the problem again.
I actually am using a hot water hose from the sink into an Igloo cooler, very easy to control temps.

ancksunamun

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 12:46:56 AM »
I am using a hot water bath (stockpot in the sink) and I fill partly from the tap, topped slowly with boiling water to obtain the temp. Using my thermomter to monitor the whole time.

I didn't get much whey coming from this cheese when I pressed it. Any clues there?

coffee joe

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 01:11:36 AM »
There are folks out there with more experience but too fast of temp rise is actually hard to do in a hot water bath. So that probably wasn't the problem. I don't get much more than a cup of whey from a 2.5Kg cheese during pressing, but I'm thinking it is something in the make before draining whey. Too much rennet?
If you post your entire recipe, someone here will figure it out

Could even be something simple, like too cold temp at pressing. Hoop and Press Milled curds about 28ºC is where I got my best results
Try it again using Wayne's tips

kenjin

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »
To me it simply looks like its dried out too quickly, was there airflow on the cheese. This has happened to me lots of times before, usually because of lack of moisture  in the drying environment.

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
To me it simply looks like its dried out too quickly, was there airflow on the cheese. This has happened to me lots of times before, usually because of lack of moisture  in the drying environment.

Ditto, my intermediate room or box is at 70-75% RH and about 65-70F. Works fine when humidity is moderately high.

kenjin

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 01:48:33 AM »
whether to keep or throw? Well if you wax it, wax will seep into the cracks, However these are only surface cracks, I am sure you cheese is still moist inside.

I Think it would be better to vacuum pack it as there is a good chance that the pressure of the vacuum bags will close the cracks and repair it.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »
Vac bagging will never repair those cracks, but it will keep mold from taking over.

kenjin

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 02:43:57 AM »
Vac bagging will never repair those cracks, but it will keep mold from taking over.

From my experience I believe it 'could' repair it. depending on how deep the cracks are. As I said before this has happened to me before and I managed to save it. With vac packing, moisture will be drawn to the surface and will soften the outside of the cheese and re-weld the cracks. If you put  2 separate cheeses in one vac bag, they will weld together over time

ancksunamun

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 05:34:20 AM »
First of all THANK YOU! Wow, it is so awesome the support and advice you get on this site.

I carried on following Ricki's recipe for drying of this block and left it air drying at room temperature. I did choose the coolest room in the house but there was no mention of humidity on the instructions. I have air dried my Goudas in the same room for weeks at a time and have had no problems. I cover my cheese with just a draped cheese cloth so air flow isn't a problem.

Vacuum packing rather than waxing sounds like a good plan. I might at least redeem something out of it.

9mmruger

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
I agree with Gina, no need to throw it away.  It's still edible curd so I would wrap it and set it aside.  You just may be surprised with the result in a few months.  Nothing to loose!

FarmerJd

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
Nothing new to add. Just feel your pain. Had this happen many times to me. I would lean more toward something in the process rather than the drying conditions because I have had 2 cheeses turn out with and without cracks in the same environment. Definitely don't throw it away. Vac bag and age forever. The cracks are only surface and there is a lot of cheese below. Keep at it. Good Luck.

ancksunamun

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »
Thanks Farmerjd. Appreciate your support and encouragement to let it go ahead and age.

I vacuum packed this cheese last night and have put it in the cave to age. I will see what happens with it over the coming months. The cracks were getting a little deeper so at least the packing will hold it all together.

I have more milk coming tomorrow night and am planning a Camembert run but will definitely try Cheddar again soon.