Author Topic: Mozzarella - Advice For Newbie Please  (Read 2696 times)

inchrisin

Mozzarella - Advice For Newbie Please
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
I attempted to make cheese for the first time last night.  Overall, it was successful.  I attempted to make mozzarella.  I had a simple recipe that called for 1/2 gal milk. (I used unhomoginized whole milk).  1t citric acid blend (I used 1.5T lemon juice). and 3/8t rennet.  I heated the milk and the lemmon juice to 88F and added the the rennet at the 105F mark.  I did all of this over med-low heat and it took 15-20 min.  I set the curd aside for 15 min and it never really shaped up.  It just stayed really soft, like ricotta cheese.  It never to stringy like taffy.  I never cut the curd with a knife, as it felt unnecessary and too soft to make any difference. 

I took the soft cheese and placed it through a paint straining bag to remove and press the whey out.  I never hung the bag, but pressed the whey out for about 5 min.  After this, I put the cheese in the microwave for 1 min and removed more whey.  I worked the cheese with the back of a spoon for a min, and then with my hand for another.  I added it twice more to the microwave for 30 sec to keep the cheese hot and malleable. 

The cheese still never shaped up.  It never got really glossy or stretchy.  I got a cheese that is just a touch harder than ricotta.  It's tasty, but it's not mozzarella.

Things I don't understand/didn't do:

1. I didn't dilute the rennet in 1/2 C water, like some recipes call to.  I'm using liquid veg.

2. I never used a culture.  I've seen some recipes that call for one, others that don't.  I just didn't have access to one, so I went without

3. I never measured out the lemon juice accurately.  It was just a couple of squirts from a bottle of concentrate.  I added as much as I thought was equal to 1 whole lemon.  I don't know if there's a big difference in lemon juice vs. citric acid blend.

4. I never hung the cheese to drip dry for an extended period of time.  I don't know if this is necessary.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a few pointers to help my next batch along.  Hopefully I can get something that closer resembles mozzarella. 

Cheers!

mtncheesemaker

Re: Mozzarella - Advice For Newbie Please
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
Hi and welcome.
Mozz may not be the best cheese for a first attempt; it has several tricks to it. There are many discussions about Mozz; try the search feature for some tips and members' tried and true recipes. Pick one and follow it closely and you'll probably be more successful.

Brentsbox

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:31:54 PM »
I do 1 to 2 gallons of this a week.  We love our Friday night pizza.  This recipe works great for me and I find it very easy to do.   I do use raw whole milk and I have started leaving all the cream in it too and it makes a really nice creamy melting mozz on our pizzas.  the Milk your using though should do fine with this.  Dont give up and give it another try.  There is also a great video on youtube of a guy showing you how to stretch and work the curds.  my Mozzarella recipe that i use is below the video. 
Fresh Mozzarella at Tutto Italiano

Mozzarella

1 gallon milk
1 ¼ tsp citric acid
½ junket tablet
¼ cup salt

1.   Warm milk over gentle heat to 88° - 91° F.

2.   Dissolve citric acid in ½ cup cool water add to milk, stir well and let ripen for 1 hour covered.  You can skip the ripening and ripen after the junket is added.   I don’t do this though.  I let it sit for about an hour.

3.   keeping at 88° - 91° F  dissolve junket in ¼ cup cool water and stir thoroughly into warmed milk mixture. Let set undisturbed for 1 – 2 hours, until a clean break is achieved.

4.   Cut the curd but do not stir yet. Let the curds rest for 5 minutes. The curds are delicate right after you cut them and they need to "harden up" up a little bit before you stir them.

5.   After 5 minutes stir the curds gently with a slotted ladle. Cut any large curds you missed when cutting the first time.

6.   Keep the curds at 90° - 91°, covered, for an hour or so, stirring occasionally during the first half hour. I call this "cooking" the curds, even though you really are not cooking them per se. Cooking" at a higher temperature will result in a cheese with less moisture. You can experiment with this if you wish; just don't raise the temperature over 100° and raise the temp slowly (no more than 2° every 5 minutes).  I stir once every 10 minutes of the first half hour of "cooking" for a total of three stirring sessions. After that, just let curd settle on the bottom of the pot where it will start to mat together

7.   collect curds by pouring curds and whey through a fine cloth  Tie up the ends of the cheesecloth and hang the curds to drain for a few hours (3-4). I put it over a bowl and let it drain overnight in the fridge.   Save the whey and make Ricotta while the Moz is hanging.

8.    When the curd is ready to be "worked" heat a large pot of water to 170° and add 1/4 cup Kosher salt. If I am working the curd the same day I made it and also made Riccota (I always make Riccota the same day I make Moz) I use the hot whey from making the Riccota instead of water; this makes the cheese even tastier and I find the curds "work" better as well.

9.   Now work the curds.. see link http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/mozzarella.htm

10.   put worked cheese in a mold (plastic container) and let the cheese cool at room temperature for a couple hours.

11.   Place the cheese (in it's mold) into the fridge overnight. I don't bother to cover it, but you can if you wish.  The next day, pop and/or bang the cheese out of it's mold and your ready to make pizza. Put the cheese in a ziplock bag and store it in the fridge. It's ready to use right away, but is really better after a few days. This is one the few cheeses that freezes fairly well.

littlemilkqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
I just made mozz yesterday, and then pizza, can never seem to wait a couple days! LOL I use the fiasco farms recipe for mine...she does mention that the curds in mozz are different than other cheeses cause of the citric acid addition I would think, and the curds are softer. I also use whole unpasteurized goat milk from my goats and liquid rennet. I didnt use to always dilute and didnt have a problem with it undiluted but now I just dilute to make sure everyting gets distributed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »
I can not stck my hand right in the water like that. I need gloves!

Brentsbox

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »
I use 2 spoons until its all melted and matted together then i can reach in and grab it out of the hot water and begin stretching it.  It helps also to have a bowl of cold water near by too to cool your hands if needed.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
It really does help to follow the directions and use all recommended ingredients when you are first making cheese, until you get used to the methods and the differences in techniques and ingredients.

I use two pair of the lightweight latex gloves to protect my hands and a couple of wooden spoons to manipulate the curd around until it cools enough to handle it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »
I was using latex gloves and I finally found dishwashing gloves.  Alot thicker and can be used many times! My ole silicone BBQ gloves are just to much of a PITA and I don't feel much with them on.