Author Topic: Hola from Alajuela, Costa Rica & Tampa, FL  (Read 1487 times)

stanhopi

Hola from Alajuela, Costa Rica & Tampa, FL
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
Hello All,

I'm a cheese lover from way back.  I'm a resident in Alajuela, Costa Rica and bounce between there and Tampa, Florida, my other home.  I started visiting Costa Rica more than thirty years ago.

It has been interesting over the years finding out what cheeses one can get in Costa Rica.  There are relatively few locally-made cheeses available here and one still can only sporadically find imported varieties. Happily though, imported cheeses are more readilly found in Costa Rica nowadays than what there were even just a few years ago.

I have never made cheese but am interested to try somethinng simple eventually.

Regards,

Paul M.
==

CdnMorganGal

Re: Hola from Alajuela, Costa Rica & Tampa, FL
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
Welcome Paul!  And thx, I got your message.

I love the palmito cheese - as it is and melted in a cheese sandwich or a main course. Personally I don't like the regular Turrialba cheese - I find it doesn't have much flavor.  I've bought some really nice goudas at a cheese fair but forgot to save the label to find out where they are made here - they weren't Dos Pinos or Monteverde brand - but boy were they expensive! (an added impetus to start making my own).  I don't mind the Maduro, and at my local feria there is a semi-soft or soft-hard cheese with herbs - quite nice.  But I certainly miss the varieties available in N America - especially feta and the blues - the feta I've got a feel for now and I'll be making a blue after my border run.  Take care - Desiree

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
Hello and welcome Paul, I had to check and you are not our first in Costa Rica, if you Search for Costa Rica you should be able to find the other(s) and ping them via the PM system. Have fun!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »
Sorry, of course CdnMorganGirl is in Costa Rica!

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:12:56 AM »
Welcome aboard Paul!