Author Topic: New in NYC  (Read 1528 times)

OudeKaas

New in NYC
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
Hi -

I'm a new cheesemaker in New York City, enjoying learning about the process and slowly moving ahead. To date I've only made a 'quick' mozzarella, two batches of fromage blanc and whey ricotta and cooked-down mysost from the byproducts of these efforts.

Looking forward to learning more and contributing to this interesting and varied group!

Cheese Head

Re: New in NYC
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »
Welcome OudeKaas, have fun!

We are going to have to be careful as there is another member here who's name is Oude Kaas with a space who is also in NYC!! But he's been making cheese for years and is one of our guru's.

Welcome!

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:54:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »
Welcome aboard OK. I have seem that nick before somewhere but I can't recall where ...

OudeKaas

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! Did not mean to cause any confusion . . . I guess b/c of the no space thing it allowed me to use that very similar name. I've changed my forum nickname in the interests of clarity.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
It's okay I am easily confused but I will forget it in 5 minutes.  ;)

9mmruger

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
Welcome aboard B!  You'll learn lots here.

cdonaghe

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
welcome to the group. loaded with great people and tons of information and help.

Charles

Brentsbox

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »
How did you like the Mysost.   I tried it for the first time the other day and I honestly didnt even ever put it in the fridge.  I tasted it and hated it.  I dont know if i did something wrong but I know i didnt scortch it.   I think I will stick to using my whey for other things.  The chickens love it!!!

OudeKaas

Mysost
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »
Brent, like I think a lot of Americans, I did not quite expect what I got from this process. I searched for 'Gjetost', having had the darker, sweeter caramelly product that is labeled as this in some markets. This led me to Fankhauser's informative site, and he explains the difference. Still I forged ahead.

I really enjoyed cooking down the whey (took me about 5 hours) and whipped the hell out of it while cooling rapidly. This resulted in a really smooth-textured end product.

I was a bit surprised at what a different critter this was - beige-colored, fudge-textured, salty and twangy with only a hint of sweetness. At first I will admit I found it a little harsh. But I really came to like it once I sort of got my head around it. I ate it all up within a week or so, and by the end of the week I think it had actually changed a little. It seemed stiffer-textured, slightly crumbly and the flavor seemed to have deepened. If I make it again I think I will try to keep some around longer.