Author Topic: Water, Chlorinated - For Diluting Rennet?  (Read 7632 times)

brandeeno

Water, Chlorinated - For Diluting Rennet?
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »
There seems to be several conflicting opinions regarding dissolving liquid rennet in tap water (or omission of exact water used). One side says chlorine in tap water hampers rennet’s “duties” and bottled water should be used, where as others seemingly use tap water or just don’t mention it. I have not used liquid rennet as of yet, and I’d like to see what several of you do regarding type of water everybody has used for diluting liquid rennet, and the results. 

Please reply below with what kind of rennet you use, your water source for dilution, and comments on its effectiveness.

Tea

Re: Water, Chlorinated - For Diluting Rennet?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
Hi Brandeeno.  I have to admit that this is the first time that I have heard of this.  I only use tap water which is heavily chlorinated, but I only use it boiled and cool.
I know that when we are filling up the fish tank, it is recommended to leave the tap water out in the sun for an hour before adding it to the tank to dissipate/lower the chlorine levels. 
I am guessing here, but I would think that by the time the water has been boiled and cooled, that any remaining chlorine would be negligable.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong here please.
Having said all that, I think I might experiement on your idea when I next make cheese, and see if I think there is a difference.

Megan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »
Yes, >:(  Also, some city water sources are so heavily chlorinated now boiling won't get it out, so a charcoal filter would be in order. 

I just moved to an area that has city water, I had problems with the curd setting firm like I wanted, so till I get the charcoal filter hooked up I've been using spring water.  (I miss my well water)
Megan

SalMac

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Id imagine so. We have a RO (Reverse osmosis) unit to provide pure h20. It costs around $150 to put in place and for us about $50 a year in filters. We use this unit in and out of town btw.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:14:02 PM by SalMac »

brandeeno

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
made my first cheese last night. i used my tap water and it sat for about 1.5 hours before i diluted my rennet in it and mixed into the milk.  within 1 hour i was getting clean break... so does not seem to be an issue for me. this is NYC tap water  :D

PeterHobit

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:45:36 AM »
The purer the water the better, and yes if you boil the water it breaks down the chlorine. I always boil a glass jar to sterilise it and add 100 ml of the boiled water, leave it to cool and then use it.

THat is why you should only use clean cold water when you make up your sanitising liquid (I use 6 ml of 4% sodium hypochlorite per litre of water {60 ml in 10 litres of water}

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:24:29 AM »
Our water here in Katy/Houston is from wells via a water supply company, we also have a reverse osmosis unit that I use the water from. I don't know if the RO unit removes 100% of the chlorine but so afr no problem.

Milleens

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »
City water would of course effect renneting et al.
Considering you use so little water for this why not use bottled spring water.