Author Topic: Baskets for Camembert and Brie  (Read 2333 times)

ancksunamun

Baskets for Camembert and Brie
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
Am I correct that you can use baskets for Camemberts and Bries or does it have to be the open bottom hoop/mold?

Do the baskets cause problems when flipping?

I have smaller baskets that I have used for feta that I consider the perfect size for the cams and bries I want to make. In the past I used my larger mold (which was not bottomless but was solid with holes rather than basket form) for a cam and it turned out pretty good but I would like to make smaller sizes.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:36:06 PM by ancksunamun »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Baskets for Camembert and Brie
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »
Surw as long as they are clean and sanitized.

ancksunamun

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:57:44 AM »
Thanks DeejayDebi

Any advice on the flipping procedure given they are baskets instead of hoops?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »
Use cheesecloth and carefully pull using the cloth from the basket then I would add a new piece on top of the cheese flip it and use the new cloth to support the curds as it is pretty delicate.

ancksunamun

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:03:17 AM »
Thanks Debi

Luckily as the Cams drained they shrank away from the sides of these molds and with a wee tap on the bottom, we actually really easy to empty and flip!

I'm very happy with my $2.99 (about $2 USD) purchase!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 05:48:43 AM »
I actually bought a wicker backet that was intended for a bread warmer in holiday last week for making cheese in.  Just looked the right size and should make a lovely cheese!

ConnieG

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »
So, I only go to walmart if it keeps me from mail order or going into the city but I was looking for something to age cams in.  I found what looks to be the perfect container - it is a produce container with holes in the bottom for drainage and a cover on the bottom to catch draining liquid.  It obviously has a lid to hold in moisture but then it has a humidity control on the side that slides open and closed.  I took out the center divider and it holds two cams as it made for it.  I have a little thermostat/humidity meter on order from a cigar company for cheap and I'll stick that in and see what I've got going in there.

I'm still not good on temps for aging however.  So until I get that down, it's a gamble.

Offline woodsman

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:25 AM »
I found almost cylindrical plastic baskets that I just used to drain my Camemberts. I used cheese cloth at first just in case the curd would like to leak out through 3/16" slots on the sides or holes in the bottom, but I pulled it off after the first flip without any problems.

Flipping is easy too. I put a plate on top of the basket and flip it upside down, pull the basket off and put another plate on top of the cheese, flip it again, pull the plate off the top, place the basket over a cheese and flip it yet again. As the curd shrinks  more and more it  falls further and further when I flip the basket upside down, but curd also gets denser and strong enough to withstand a fall of an inch or two.