Author Topic: Camemberts  (Read 9111 times)

ancksunamun

Re: Camemberts
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 02:48:18 AM »
I cut off a few more wedges and left them out for a bit and YUM! This cheese is so creamy and delicious. The flavour seems to be spot on. I am very happy with the results considering these cheeses had to survive a 7.1 earthquake.

I'm thinking the eyes in my cheese may be to do with the Sourdough starter sitting on my bench at the time. It has since been banished to the fridge and I'm also stacking my molds this time to 'tighten' the curd up a little.

Just to prove that cheese making is always a moving target I made exactly the same cheese last night but when I went to check my curd I had perfectly liquid milk still?? Have no idea what happened as my rennet is fine (made a perfect Haloumi the night before) and after adding the same dose again I got a pretty good curd. It had me almost thinking I had lost my marbles and had never added the rennet like I thought I had. I'm d#@n sure I did though.

And to test myself further I decided to try the straight ladle technique rather than cutting first. I'm not a fan. The curds seeped (which I didn't have happen last time) and when I went to flip this morning they were still very wet and fragile). I have them pressing a little today, under each other's weight (as above) so will see what I get but I will be returning to my original recipe next time.

Oh well, one must try these things.

peri7132

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 12:34:31 AM »
your cheese looks really good and the phote is great, love to know your cam recipe too and your camera

iratherfly

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 07:43:42 AM »
Try the flocculation multiplier method instead of counting time. This will give yo consistent results as it will "follow" your "moving target". If your weather is different, the animal feed has changed, your milk temp or acidity is not the same - this can happen. The spinning bowl method overcomes all these variables. (Are you familiar? There are many references to it on this forum)

I wouldn't stack them. It affects the pH balance of the curd and may flatten it too much or remove too much moisture too quickly. If you ever see traditional Camembert and Brie makers, they usually just let it drain. Some of them put little steel disks with minimal weight on top to just help the whey extract faster. (may give you chalky dry, brittle camembert and slow down mold growth).

Stacking belongs with a harder cheese like Tomme style. Camembert acidifies in the vat (hence the long wait time) and semi-hard Tomme style cheese has short time in the vat followed by long pressing that helps it acidify out of the vat.

Ladling will give you a more moist cheese. If too much curd escapes, use a bottom net that has higher density. It should let a bit of curd out at first and then stop as the net fills up and the curd above it begins to knot.

ancksunamun

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »
Unfortunately this was nothing to do with flocculation times (which am familiar with and use). I believe there was contamination in the milk container as the next batch of cheese I went to make did exactly the same thing. Absolutely no curd after over 2 hours. I deduced it was the container after realising that my Haloumi came out perfect but it also came from my 10 litre container. The two duds came from another 20 litre container.  :(

ancksunamun

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
Ops, meant to mention, I only stacked 1 cheese on top of another so it was minimal weight (probably about the same as a metal disk).

I was open to experimenting from the start with this cheese (trying the ladling and stacking for knit) so wasn't necessarily concerned about getting it perfect. I wanted to see what affected what in the outcome. They are looking really good again but I think they will be bitter because of the additional rennet.

I have my other lovelies that I have been enjoying and am making another batch tomorrow with exactly the same original recipe and method. Experimenting done for now.

iratherfly

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
Sorry for the very late response. I find it hard to believe it's contamination. Acid maybe (soap or sanitizer left in the container, something gone rancid inside, maybe it's your utensils or thermometer, the dish that you used for rennet or cultures?) but contamination would have to be pretty bad for this to happen. 5 minute of milk acidification should be enough for you to get curd after you add rennet. You hardly need to create bacteria for this enzyme to work. Adding the bacteria and acidifying for so long only helps the milk because you are growing an overwhelming competing bacteria that eats up all the nutrients of other contaminating bacteria and pathogens.  Acid though is capable of changing the milk pH violently enough to keep the rennet from working.  If that's not it, than maybe you just had a funky milk. This happens with lactation and seasonal changes, animal diet and medicine, etc. It has happened to me before and to many others on this forum, one batch of milk that just doesn't cooperate.

Are you using a single or double strength rennet? Have you switched rennet to a new bottle size or a different brand lately?

As for the stacking - a cheese's weight is too much for a Camembert to handle. The french discs are about 35g-80g. Your fresh watery cheese is probably about 300-400g. It may expel the whey too fast before it is done working its magic. Just let it drip until it's done.  I guarantee it will give you a better cheese.

ancksunamun

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
Well I cut into this last batch of Cams last night and OMG!!! I think I briefly went to cheese heaven. They have turned out amazing with a lovely creamy paste and a brilliant taste. We had friends over when I cut into it and as I exclaimed "This is b#$%dy good" they replied "B#$%dy good! It's incredible" so I got my affirmation there.

There is no hint of the bitterness I was worried about and all of the cheeses developed the most wonderful, full cover of mold. I expected a complete failure here and was actually going to chuck them out. I let them carry more out of interest than anything and boy am I pleased I did!

I'll add a pic of a cut cheese tonight (we ate the other one with such gusto I didn't get a picture) but I have added a pic to show the mold coverage. I am really thrilled with this cheese, more so even than the last batch which appeared to have 'worked' better so it goes to show you never can tell.

I made 2 Farmhouse Cheddars and a Colby after this batch BTW and had no problem with coagulation again. I know for sure it wasn't the milk that was bad last time but what it was about that 1 container I don't know. Oh well, all was not lost it seems.

Oh and from this 'experiment' I will definitely be carrying on with the ladling method of putting my curds in the molds. I am sure it has contributed to the wonderful soft creaminess of this batch. I take back my earlier decision on that one.

susanky

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
Thank you for sharing your great pictures and experience.  I am thinking of making my first camembert and have been watching your 'story'.  Which recipe are you using?  If I may ask a newbie question.  What is the ladle method? 
Susan

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 03:27:04 AM »
Congrats! What a great feeling!

iratherfly

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 06:29:49 AM »
This is great! Congrats! Just keep doing it this way!

ancksunamun

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
Thanks iratherfly.

I have to say that your help has gone a long way towards refining this make and I now feel like I have a method that will work well each time. I have actually quite enjoyed sticking to a type of cheese and working on improving it with experimentation and advice so as to get a pretty reliable (as reliable as it can be) product.

I made another batch this weekend and used the ladle method again. It is definitely a more delicate curd to work with at the start but the results are well worth it.

Also have my aging process down pat and am getting a really great mold every time with relatively little effort.

I will post my recipe for those who asked shortly. In regards to the camera questions, I used my Panasonic Lumix for this shot though I also use a Nikon D70 as well. I find the Lumix has a great Macro function which I tend to use more in my food pictures.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 03:15:26 AM »
Nice clear pics of some good-looking cheeses.

Well done in both cases!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »
Thanks ancksunamun! Really nice to hear that :) Glad I could save you milk and/or time/frustration.  If you think your cheese is fantastic now, just wait 6 months and see where you are at! I think you have a natural knack for it.

Will you try it with a goat's milk next? Yummm!

blairw75

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »
Hi there ancksunamun these babies look delicious!
Can wait to see the recipe!
Well done. Have you tried any other cheeses?