Author Topic: My Dutch Type Press Build  (Read 2239 times)

Michael_A

My Dutch Type Press Build
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »
Needs a bit more work, but mostly done.  Hope it works.  I've been slowly putting together the goods for a winter cheese making season.

M

FarmerJd

Re: My Dutch Type Press Build
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:32:19 AM »
Nice

Michael_A

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
Thanks.  I built it out of what I had around, so it's not the first choice of materials.  I'm going to treat the interior wood part of the table with hot mineral oil and paraffin as they do cutting boards and cider presses.  Ideally that won't see much moisture, I'm going to rout a drain trough and drain hole into a piece of HDPE cutting board and use that as the actual pressing surface.

I did a brief test with a scale today and it comes in at ~30 lbs force with just the levers and around 95 with a 7 lb weight on the end.  I calculated it at a 9.3 mechanical advantage, so that seems ballpark.  I'm considering moving the fulcrum a couple of inches closer to press shaft and also mounting some pulleys.  I was hoping it might do double service as a cider press, but I don't think the construction is up to the 70 psi the cider people think is good.  It did do a serviceable job with a small hoop of coarsely ground apples when I hung a concrete block on the lever, so there may be hope.  Ha ha.

Now I need to get the external controller ordered for my fridge/cave and I'll be getting close on the equipment end.

M

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
One thing that I did that I highly suggest is to use a pot to press in. It makes cleanup soooooo much easier. I had a groove routed into my surface for the whey to drain out onto another pan at first. Then I realized all I needed to do was to place my hoop in a pot and then pour out the whey when I flipped the cheese. Makes everything easier. Just an idea. Good luck.

Michael_A

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:57:25 AM »
Farmer Jd, I like the way you think.  I wasn't looking forward to routing on HDPE in any case.  I'll start looking around here for alternative containers.  Now I need the temp. controller and I can rough out some small cheeses and get them aging.

Thanks,
M

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »
Very impressive. It rather reminds me of erector set projects I did as a kid.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Michael_A

No no no it ain't cheese babe
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  I liked your press too.  I happened to have metal around rather than wood, so I used that.  After I was done I found out I could have snagged another stick of that predrilled stuff and I was bummed, because that would have made the build so much easier and probably stronger too.  Drilling all those holes in the crosspieces was trying to say the least.

I tried it out this morning on about 6 gallons of apple peelings and cores that I am fermenting for a vinegar production experiment.  It worked quite well, but I noticed a tendency for the pressing piece to get a little crosswise on the bolts that hold it vertical and therefore bind up.  I might try rollers in place of the currently used bolts and screwdrivers.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:43 AM »
Nice I like it! Very kewl looking!