Author Topic: Bad Making Batch - How Use Or Chuck?  (Read 2268 times)

mcaskey826

Bad Making Batch - How Use Or Chuck?
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »
Hello all, I've been reading and learning a lot from all of you. I'm taking baby steps in cheese making and I just made my first batch of cream cheese last week and loved it! Today I tried to make fresh mozz using Dr. Fankhauser's recipe and my curds did not set. Do I have to throw it out or is there a way to salvage my milk? I live in Oklahoma and get fresh raw milk from a local dairy. I just bought the milk yesterday, so there is no chance that it could be from too much bacteria in the milk.  Any suggestions?

mcaskey826

Re: Bad Making Batch - How Use Or Chuck?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
Well, I decided rather than throw it out I would add some more rennet and see what would happen. It turned out great! I used the whey to make ricotta and it turned out great too. If I keep reading this forum enough you all just might make me brave enough to try an aged cheese...well see.

Cheese Head

Re: Bad Making Batch - How Use Or Chuck?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:10 PM »
Sorry mcaskey for delay, congrats on getting it sorted with more rennet. Rennet strengths vary depending on brand and source, plus as it's very concentrated stuff you have to ensure it's diluted in water before adding to the milk and when it's added to thoroughly stir in otherwise it will "set up" in a small area and not impact the rest of the milk. Congrats again!