Author Topic: Hi from Houston, TX!  (Read 1822 times)

macox700

Hi from Houston, TX!
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:49:31 AM »
Howdy out there!!

I'm really brand spanking new to cheese making.  I have bought a couple of books... read a lot of internet information especially the great stuff on the website and bought some supplies. 

I need to find a good milk supplier so if those around the Houston area have any suggestions, I'm listening! I tried to make Ricki's 30 min mozzarella today twice and both times, failed.  Not sure why really, but will try again.  I'm sure it was User Error somehow.

Right now I have 1 gal of goats milk that I'd like to make a soft goat fresh cheese with but am not sure what recipe to use... any suggestions?  Need something to do on my labor day holiday!!  :-)

Thanks and I look forward to learning so much on this forum!
Mary

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Hi from Houston, TX!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »
Howdy,

Despite what the books say, Moz is not a beginner cheese. Most people fail the first few time because they don't understand the relationship between pH (acidity) and stretching. Lots of good info on the forum. Search and read grasshopper. Welcome.

macox700

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:21:28 AM »
Thanks Sailor!  I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:28:34 AM »
Mary, this is the place to learn. Good luck on your new hobby/obsession.

Sailor, the grasshopper quote was a classic. I thought I was the only kid that watched that show.

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:48:53 AM »
Hello Mary and welcome!

Don't give up on the Mozzarella, it is a fun cheese to make. Just practice.

For the goat's milk; make classic good old Chèvre. It's easy to make and usually succeeds. Making good Chèvre can help you later with more complicated cheese like Crottin, Valençay, Saint Maure or Chaourse.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:49:06 AM by iratherfly »

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
Ho Mary, welcome, I'm in Katy, west Houston, lots of great members, I'd also recommend Chevre for your goat's milk.

On milk in Houston, I just use standard grocery store past & homogenized milk from Krogers or HEB, I have not gone to the effort of finding raw milk. Avoid organic milk as it's often Ultra-Pasteurized (more dead) to give it longer shelf life.

macox700

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
Thank you both for the warm welcome!
 :)

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:17:13 AM »
Hello, and welcome!

I read this board and a couple books for months before taking the plunge.. While I still consider myself a beginner, I've had a couple successes and plan on continuing.  I use store-bought milk as fresh milk isn't easily available around me, but you can still do pretty well with that in mind...

Persistence, patience and planning are the key!

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

Sue~

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
I'm from Houston too!  Good luck, I'm gearing up for my first try at queso fresco.   

TroyG

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
Howdy!

I am North of Houston in New Caney and we are a license Grade A goat dairy selling raw milk and cheese to the public. Fell free to check out our website and give us a call if you have any questions.

http://www.miabellafarm.com

Thanks,
Troy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »
Welcome Mary! Mozzarella requires time, patience and waiting. If you don't give it enough time to acidify the curds will shatter into some sandy looking mush. Test little bits for stetching and if it doesn't wait some more.

macox700

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:39 AM »
Thanks!  I'm going to try it again soon.  Working on a chevre currently.    :)