Author Topic: Rennet - Junket Brand Discussion & Making Mozz With it  (Read 6989 times)

inchrisin

Rennet - Junket Brand Discussion & Making Mozz With it
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
I've attempted to make mozzarella for the first time and it mildly failed.  I appreciate all the feedback I got from you guys and gals.  I'm going to try it again, but I'd like to ask a few questions first.  I'll try this recipe:

1 gallon milk
1 ¼ tsp citric acid
½ junket tablet
¼ cup salt

I was wondering if lemon juice is an acceptable substitute for citric acid blend, or if I should buy some from my Local Home Brew Store.

Also, I have Malaka veg. concentrated liquid rennet and have no idea how strong it is.  How do I measure it out to the appropriate level of junket? I'm reading that 1t liquid = 1 tablet, yes?

Thanks for the help.

Cheese Head

Re: Rennet - Junket Brand Discussion & Making Mozz With it
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
Hi inchrisin, I have minimal experience and thus no advice on moz, but my first rennet was also Malaka brand and I used 5 drops per quart of milk and got a good curd set.

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
Junket isn't rennet.  You need rennet.

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:58 AM »
Junket isn't rennet.  You need rennet.
Is this true? :o ???

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:46:55 AM »
Correct, it's pepsin, not rennin (aka chymosin). Enzyme specificity is not the same.

KosherBaker

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:33 AM »
Thank you LB. David  Fankhauser seems to be using it in all his cheese recipes, and the label even states Rennet on it. Good to know, not that animal rennet is of any use to me. :) But more knowledge is always better.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:39 AM »
Well to be fair, it does have some chymosin, and it does set milk. It's just that the chymosin/pepsin ratio isn't quite favorable to making hard aged cheese. That being said, I've made cheese from it before that was okay. Not amazing, but pretty decent, especially when using good milk. The term "rennet" can refer to any sorts of enzymes found in the abomasum, including chymosin and pepsin.

What happened is that the founder oft the modern Chr Hansen (named of all things, Chris Hansen) was clever and devised an approach to create more shelf life stable and better quality rennet extracted from abomasums. Since then there have been better methods devised, but that old method and style of manufacture is still in an old factory in NY (IIRC) where Junket is still made. There's nothing so wrong with the method, but nowadays, all the prime abomasum is used to create costly calf or kid rennet and sold at a premium. And when kids grow older, the enzyme ratio shifts in favor of pepsin. Heck, you can even extract a rennin/pepsin mix from pretty old calves, and in small amounts from adult animals. So in the end, you'll get an enzyme mix, but it's not really that great. The set is usually softer, and it doesn't age the same way as prime rennet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:36:06 AM by linuxboy »

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:05:33 AM »
Making mozza with junket rennet is possible. As a matter of fact, as of today, I have made 4 cheeses... all mozzas with junket.

I'm a noob myself and have bought junket because it was available at the grocery store. It's actually what got me into this hobby  :D The final result is a creamier version of store bought mozza that melts very well. Just don't try and make other kinds of cheese with JUNKet though.

I failed twice trying to make mozza though... the set time after mixing in the rennet is about 2 hours. Follow the recipe that comes with the JUNKet box and you'll end up with a nice mozza.

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I made all kinds of cheese with Junket rennet because it was the only rennet locally available to me.  I did have to use more than originally anticipated, but it did work.  Mozzarella, cheddar, colby, monterey jack, and neufchatel.  It can be done, but it takes different expectations than liquid or powdered calf rennet.