Author Topic: Scaling Rennet Coagulated Cheese Making Recipes - Aging Time?  (Read 1509 times)

Spoons

Scaling Rennet Coagulated Cheese Making Recipes - Aging Time?
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »
I'm new to cheese making and absolutely love this new hobbie  O0

Here's my question : I'm following a recipe that yields 3-3.5 lbs. The recipe recommends a 7" tomme style press with a minimum aging of 3 months. What if I decide to split the curds in three 450g (1lbs) presses to make three smaller wheels instead. Does that change the aging process?

Another way to ask this question : if you split your batch in two -one ending up as a 2lbs wheel, and the other ending up as a 1lbs wheel- do they age at the same rate or is volume not relevant?

BTW, I've been reading this forum the past few weeks and I really enjoy all of your contribution.  ;D Good job people!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Scaling Rennet Coagulated Cheese Making Recipes - Aging Time?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »
Volume is very relevant. Really small wheels do not age well. You are better off sticking with one cheese instead of making pancakes. ;)

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:59 AM »
LOL gotcha  :D But what would you consider a pancake? is a 1lbs wheel ok?

9mmruger

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
I would think that a 1 lb wheel in a 7" mold would be a pancake, where as a 1lb wheel in a 4" mold would produce a thicker wheel and thereby age better.  I could be wrong, as I am fairly new at this as well.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:39:25 PM »
About 1-1/2 gall will yield about 1 lb of semi hard cheese and will fit into a 4" hoop making a mini Gouda size.

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »
I get what you're saying now: a 200gr wheel can still age well if pressed in a 200gr Kadova gouda mold for instance. So it's a really small wheel, but would still age well right?

Alex

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:09 AM »
A 200 gr Gouda is about the size of a Camembert and it'll be mostly rind if you age it unwaxed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »
As Alex implied ... small cheese have a lot of loss due to rind. By the time the cheese ages with a natural rind there is no cheese left it become all rind. Small cheese should be waxed or vacuum sealed.