Author Topic: goat milk source in ontario  (Read 1977 times)

green zebra

goat milk source in ontario
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:06:57 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Would anyone know where in ontario goat milk can be purchased from the farmer? If so, what has your shopping experience been like.  I am looking for 4-5 gallon sized pails.
Sincerely,
Doris

pirenzi

Re: goat milk source in ontario
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:30 AM »
Hi Doris,
A couple of weeks ago, we stopped into Cross Wind Farm in Keene, near Peterborough. They sold pasteurized milk in their store on the farm http://www.crosswindfarm.ca we just bought some cheese, so I'm not sure how much the milk costs.

If you want to source directly from a farmer, it might be worth  contacting them directly or getting in touch with one of the breeders on this list: http://www.ogba.ca/pdfs/Dairygoat%20breeders%20listing/Milk%20Goats%20Directory%20for%20online.pdf, that is how we found our farmer.

I hope this helps.
Piers

green zebra

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Thank you Piers!
 I will check out this link.

I did find a goat milk source but i really think their price is too high, 20 litres for $70. I say this because i just discovered a sheep milk source and their price is 18 litres for $63. Anywhere i have looked and found, sheep's milk has always been more expensive, which i can appreciate.

For me the the first price just makes cheesemaking with the failures and successes to not be cost efficient. I may as well continue to use store bought Liberte's goat milk, 4litre - $10.69. I am still experimenting and learning.

Sincerely,
Doris

pirenzi

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
Hi Doris,

Wow, that is pricey for milk. Our farmer makes it easy at $1 per litre. I do hope you have some luck finding a more reasonably priced source.

Regards
Piers

xyztal

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
Where did you find the sheep milk in Ontario?

green zebra

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
I found the sheep milk in Fergus. They are called Best Baa, very nice people. 519-787-0707 www.ewenity.com  And they delivered right to my door, no charge!! They are about an hour from me.

I was quite happy to pay their price of $63/18 litres. I saved $2 PER litre buying their identical productwhich i first saw in a health food store, Nature's Emporium (a fabulous place to shop with deep pockets)...i was hoping to find a similar price break for goat milk...just have to keep looking.