Author Topic: Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #2 (Video)  (Read 2952 times)

webmaster

Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #2 (Video)
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
Recipe & directions video for making Mozzarella Cheese:
YouTube

Probably worth reading written directions albeit different recipe for making Mozzarella located in this forum here.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:41:47 AM by Cheese Head »

gtherapy

Re: Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #2 (Video)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
thank you very much about this video
but i want to ask you about the buttermilk(what is it)?
can i make it at home?
can i use store yogurt instead of buttermilk at making  mozzarella ?

bruce

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:19 PM »
I really liked this video, but I fallowed it to the T and didn't get the stretchy curds at the end. All they would do is fall apart. So I tried this other recipe http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/pasta_filata/pasta_filata.html and got the same results. I tried to let them sit at room temp (about 85* - 90*) for an additional 5 more hrs and still nothing. I'm 100% sure I had the water hot enough to melt the cheese. I really don't like using citric acid as it's unnatural and I believe that if it could be done w/out it for thousands of years, I should be able to make at least one mozzarella ball. Any help would be great!

Thnx,
Bruce.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:32:57 AM by bruce »

shoelessone

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:54:49 AM »
Sorry I can't help much with the "stretchyness", but just wanted to point out that citric acid really isn't that "unnatural" - you could probably use lemon juice in place of citric acid, as lemons/most citrus fruit contain a ton of citric acid!

bruce

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:11:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply. You are right. Citric acid is pretty natural, but my point was that the Romans didn't go to the corner store and buy citric acid to make their cheese. they did it the old fashioned whey ;D Granted they probably could have used lemon juice but I know it can be done with out it. And the taste is far better than the 30 min moz. I have had success at one batch so far and unfortunately I didn't take notes such as the brand of milk or type of milk. And that brings up another question of milk brands. Is there one brand that works better than others or are they all the same. Of course, whole raw milk is best, but due to the heavy lobbying of the FDA from the greeeeedy dairy industry, it's getting harder to find raw milk from local dairys. (I didn't know milk came from pigs) ;D That's another subject though.

Any whey, thanks again,
Bruce
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:07:26 AM by bruce »