Author Topic: Mozz/provolone question and help please.  (Read 6029 times)

Tea

Re: Mozz/provolone question and help please.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »
Thanks Squirrel for this, and it seems from this information that I pH is too low to start with, as the cheese is grainy and brittle.

mmm so my recipe gives an hour for the last process, so maybe I should shorten that time when I try again.  It seems that I am going past the stretching stage.  Maybe it is the hotter weather here to that is not helping things.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
I posted something a while back when others were having trouble about salvaging mozzarella when it goes south. I deliberatelt messes up everything in the batch to see how I could save it.

Collect that riccotta looking stuff in a cheese cloth and throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or so and begging stretching like 30 minute mozzarella and it will still work. You'll have to do this serverla times until you get the right stretch but at least you end up with edible cheese.

Terfst

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »
I, too, tried the microwave method and failed miserably. Although I saved it as a small pea sized soft spread. Then I succeeded (I thought) with the next batch in the microwave. It stretched and melted in a few seconds in the microwave afterward, looked like provolone, and tasted like plastic! I was very disappointed to say the least. (I still have it aging in the fridge hoping it will turn into something edible in the future, ha).  Next, I tried the hot water method and it appeared to have worked but still not enough flavor for me.

I like the suggestion of adding whey to the hot water for flavor though. I did add lipase-mild to see if it would help, and of course, calcium chloride for good measure. I have these frozen 3 lbs of almost mozzarella for use in the future. I will pair it with good tasting tomatoes and stuff just in case it still tastes a little like plastic! But whatever else, I will keep trying to perfect it because I love the stuff!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 03:13:50 AM »
ONe thing that's really important to cheese is salt. Try as I might I have yet to find a way to get rid of much salt in cheese and still have it taste good.