Author Topic: Alpine disaster  (Read 2344 times)

reg

Alpine disaster
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »
yesterday i had a major disaster when making my cheese. could not get the curd to set up and it turned into a complete mess. i continued anyway and after pressing i have a 1" thick by 8" chunk of wet ... well you get the picture lol

not sure exactly what the problem was but it was the first time using that particular brand of milk, it won't happen again ! advance through trial and error. if we never make mistakes we will never learn.

back to the drawing board

reg

Tea

Re: Alpine disaster
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:11 PM »
Oh Reg, sorry to hear this.  How is the cheese coming along.  I think we have talked about the differences in milks before, and this is one of the reasons that I am prepared to pay for good whole milk, and if I can't get that brand, then I don't make cheese.  I have poured too many batches down the sink.
I tried to make the apline about a month ago, but it must have been to hot over night as the milk had curdled and gone off by morning.  Still wanting to give this a try, so will let you know when I have finally done it.  Made some yoghurt yesterday, just in case I get the oportunity to do so this weekend.

Cheese Head

Re: Alpine disaster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 04:20:23 AM »
Tough luck reg, maybe there was some weird additive in the milk, or a sick cow, I have yet to have that bad a problem.