Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 4319 times)

Sherin

Hi all!
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:03:12 AM »
Hi all from Kent, WA!
I am on my 14th cheese... Mostly by trial an error. Enjoying every minute of it!  My Dad helped me build a press and I am on a roll!  Great nasty wet weather here for making cheese!

I do have a question though,  My first blue cheese is looking quite teal all over! Is this normal? What do you do to the rind to finish it off? or does it set itself? I've seen a few with a white mold (which I did not use) but then again I have never seen a blue cheese completely blue! :o
Please advise!
Thanks,
Sherin

Tea

Re: Hi all!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
Hi Sherin and welcome to the forums.  Wow number 14 already, you really are on a roll.
In another thread here somewhere, Dagger shows a photo of a blue that he was maturing, and it pretty much is blue all over too.  According to my cheese book here is says that the excess surface mould can be removed after a month and the cheese wrapped in foil.
I haven't made a blue yet, that's next on my list, I think that it would be interesting to play around with different ideas, and see what works for you best.
I would love to see some of the results that you are getting. Hope you can post some photo's.

Sherin

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »
I'll try to shoot some cheese in the morning.
Can you point me to upload instructions?
Thanks! :)

Sherin

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 01:52:09 AM »
OK, I think I can do this...
This is my daughters attempt at her first blue.  I thinks it's beautiful!

Sherin

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:53:59 AM »
Mine looks way too teal for me...
Any comments/Suggestions?

Tea

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 02:15:53 AM »
mmm what ever you did, it is sure loving the environment that you have had it in.  :D

Not sure were to go from here, so maybe someone who has experience in blue's will chime in and help.

Sherin

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:39:14 AM »
I'm dieing to see what's inside.
Here is a white cheddar with dill, chives, shallots & garlic

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 03:47:33 AM »
Hi Sherin, welcome to the forum, congrats on nice cheese making pictures! My blue cheese also went multicoloured on outside :(.

I posted how to upload snaps in the FAQ section here, but looks like you've figured it out.

Sherin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:38:52 AM »
Thanks!
It is an obsession.
My biggest inconsistancy is getting a clean break everytime.
Sometimes I'll have 2 great batches, and then a couple of messes.
Any suggestions? All I can think of is that I'm not getting enough acidity in the beginning?

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
I also put clean break down to milk type & rennet. If you are using pasteurized milk are you adding CaCl2? Is it the way you are adding the rennet, fully diluted in water and fully mixed in?

BTW, this is my second blue cheese batch, colourful :D.

Sherin

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:27:27 PM »
Yes, I am using Pastuerized mild, adding Calcium Chloride and Rennent (Junket) from the store.
After I add the Cultured Buttermilk, I mix the CaCl2 & Rennet in 1/4 cup cold non-clorinated water and let site for 40 minutes so it dissolves completely.  Even though I don't always get a perfect "Clean Break" the cheese still seems to set up nicely and tastes great!

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks for info, I had problem once where I made a large batch and thus to split it into two stockpots, got a nice clean break on #2 and very poor on #1 even though same pasteurized milk! I think what happened to me was I diluted my rennet in water and then let sit for 20 min while warming both milks. Then dribbled half diluted rennet off of top of cup into one stock pot while stirring and then other half into second pot which was the one that set great. I think the rennet in 20 min settled into bottom 1/2 of diluted water and thus the first stock pot didn't get much rennet. I remember back of mind seeing a vertical brown colour gradation in diluted rennet before I added it (I was using Malakai brand liquid veg rennet from Whole Food Stores here in US). This makes me think that it can settle out in water if left to stand and then when one add's it to milk it can be concentrated in some areas and minimal in others resulting in poor overall curd set. Anyway, just an idea, did you re-stir your diluted rennet before adding? If you did then the problem is probably different milks.

Sherin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »
I am making batches of 2 gal at a time.
My first one came out perfect and so now I am frustrated trying to duplicate the process.

I always make sure the rennet is completely dissolved and stir the batch for a couple minutes after adding.

Tea

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts here.  Are you using the same brand of milk everytime, as different brands can give you different qualities of milk.
If you feel that the set isn't clean enough, try adding some more junket tablets.  I know that on occassion when I used them, I had to add another tablet when it wasn't setting well.

reg

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 02:51:36 PM »
morning folks. just last week i read an article that said rennet losses its strength fairly quickly after being disolved with the water. maybe we are waiting to long befor adding to the batch.

just a thought

reg