Author Topic: Tastes like....Colby  (Read 2399 times)

Groves

Tastes like....Colby
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
It was our first attempt at a washed curd cheese. We opted to go without the dye. The structure isn't great, so I either didn't press high/long enough, or my curds were too firm and didn't join.

We did a 3 gallon batch in a 4inch pvc mold. A longhorn, eh?

It's seven weeks old at this point. We just did a natural rind.

Tastes good. Plenty of tang, I think. I often wonder if samples were sent you you guys if you'd be like "whoa! Way off base!"

MrsKK

Re: Tastes like....Colby
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:20:08 AM »
It looks yummy to me!

Alex

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »
The texture looks a little bit "loose". That might be because it's unnatural to press curds from 3 gallons of milk into a 4" hoop. It's too high. But, as you say, the taste is good, so I'm happy for you.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »
I think at ths point it shouldn't matter much what we think as long as it tastes good to you it was a sucess!

Tha being said I think it looks really good and creamy too. Looks like it would melt in your mouth. I like that!

Groves

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:27:19 AM »
I'm not looking for affirmation so much as I'm looking for working taste definitions of "too acidic" or what "tang" is etc. I'm happy with it, no problem there.

It's like my wife who went decades eating almost charred chicken before she was shown moister, less cooked versions. She didn't know any better, and was satisfied until other options were presented.

Anyone want to send me "too old" or "too acidic" cheese? I'm kidding.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 05:11:29 AM »
LOL I'll try to make one just for you!

Actually I am still struggling with descriptions as I am sure you can tell. I think it's more a matter of what happens to the cheese sometimes.

For example we may not really taste "to acidic" unless it's really extreme then it will be sour tasting and smell funky, but we will easily see dry mealy cheese even if it doesn't really taste bad. It's still "to acidic."

or

Maybe there was not enough acid development? Still easier to see than taste. You might have a bunch of tiny little holes. More often then not we think this is bad pressing but it could be due to insufficent adicity and often is. It might also be pressing when the curds are to hot. Ever see a recipe the tell you to put your curd in a colader and wait 5 minutes? Thats why.

You can get the same result for so many different reasons. That one of the complexities of making cheese - figuring out what went wrong and WHY.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:35 AM »
Congratulations. Having the "right" taste is crucial.

It does look a little loose...crumbly? Might be a tad bit acidic?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.