Author Topic: Raw Milk - Denver Area  (Read 4763 times)

MattK

Raw Milk - Denver Area
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
Denver-area cheesers-
I found a woman with a small herd of Jerseys and she sells raw milk herd-shares. She's in Brighton, and let's me get my monthly ration of 4 gallons at once instead of the typical one-a-week. Plus, she usually has 'extra' milk on hand so you can get more if you want. If you're intersted, drop me a note, and I'll send her your contact info - I don't want to post her digits here  :)

-MattK

NB: She also has GREAT chicken eggs!

wharris

Re: Raw Milk - Denver Area
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
Not to be a buzz kill, but, this is from the Milk and Dairy Products FAQ from Colorodo's Department of Public Health and Environment web site:

Can raw cows’, goats’ or sheep’s milk be purchased for human consumption in the State of Colorado?
No, raw cows’, goats’ or sheep’s milk cannot be purchased for human consumption in the State of Colorado. The sale of raw milk in the State of Colorado is illegal.
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/cp/dairy/Dairy_FAQs.html

Yes, I know that it does not address "Cowshares", but that loophole is an increasingly dubious semantic.  So much so, in fact, that new legislation is being introduced in Colorado, to specifically allow them.  But to my knowledge, such legislation has yet to pass.

I would also look here:
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/release/2009/040709.html

The reason I bring this up is because the Cowshare programs in Ohio are under intense scrutiny as they are essentially ways to get around the law.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »
Wayne - same in Kentucky. Cowshares are pretty much just considered a dubious way to skirt the law.

Matt - I would be careful promoting raw milk or cowshares in a state where it is illegal. You never know who is monitoring a forum like this. The fact that she has "extra" could instantly blow the whole legitimacy of her program.

Chris_Abrahamson

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »
Herd shares for raw cow and goat milk have been legal in CO since 2005.  Colorado Statues 25-5.5-117.  This is how I obtain my raw goat milk.

It will be interesting to see if an effort to change this when the legislature convenes next January.  There were a number of people who became ill in late June and the source was traced to a goat herd share farm.