Author Topic: narelle's fetta recipe  (Read 2192 times)

narelle

narelle's fetta recipe
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
4 litres (1gall) goats milk
4 litres (1gall) cows milk
1 good teaspoon cal chlor (store bought milk)
1/2 teaspoon rennet
6 0z prepared messo starter

heat milk to 30c add starter and cal chlor and leave for 40 mins add rennet and haol at 30c for 1 hour cut into 1/2" pieces and stir for 1 hour at 30c drain curd overnight and slice salt slices and let stand in a plastic container to drain for another day or so salt again when the salt desolves or to your taste. drain whey off as you go. the fetta will keep in the container in the fridge for about 1 month or stor in an acidic brine to keep longer, this method gives you a good firm fetta if the taste is not strong enough use some lipase as i go through so much and i have to use store bought milk i keep the cost down by using 1/2 goat and 1/2 cows. if it dosent worry you you can use all goats milk .

Cheese Head

Re: narelle's fetta recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »
Thanks narelle, half goat and 1/2 cow's milk to hold down cost.

Slightly different recipe as I noticed no hanging-draining of cheese, just natural drain whey off. Sounds easier. I guess you have to make a couple times to establish how much salt to add.

Thanks again.

narelle

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
keeping it out of the fridge that bit extra developes the flavour as well and salt is a very personal thing and some people find goats milk a bit over powering so this recipe softens it a bit

saycheese

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:46:54 PM »
Question from a newbie -- 6 oz. mesophilic starter -- is that equal to two of the small packets of mesophilic starter you get from www.cheesemaking.com?