Author Topic: crottin help on the color of the mold  (Read 6290 times)

peri7132

crottin help on the color of the mold
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »
on my first attempt at making crottins i noticed that the mold isn't perfectly white there are some light tanish spots on some? is that ok? I used geo 15 andpc neige and ma11 it has been 5 days since they have been put in the cheese container in the fridge. that is probably the least of my worries since there isn't a whole lot of white mold on them anyway. I was worried about the slipping but one must hav emold to even worry about that.

Oberhasli

Re: crottin help on the color of the mold
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:57:02 PM »
Hi Peri, are you wiping away any moisture that is building up in your cheese box and flipping your cheeses?  Did these crottin sit out at all to get their bloom before you put them in the fridge or did they go straight into the fridge for draining?  I would put a dab of vinegar and a sprinkle of kosher salt on any odd colored mold you might be getting, and keep the box nice and dry.  I have found that crottin grow nice white mold in a week or so and then they can really take off with the aging process.  They can go from just right to over ripe fairly quickly.   

Bonnie

peri7132

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:35 AM »
They sat out in the molds for 2 days and then another 2. Days when I salted them. They had a little white bloom on them when I put them in the fridge. But it has been slow going and then I noticed the tan spots on some.small the size of an eraser head on a pencil. Not all have these spots. My cheese seems really dry. I added a little moisture yesterday but I just got home and checked them after reading your post and wiped the moisture out, they are still dry. They do have some bloom on the sides but none on the top or bottom. Thank you for replying I will also try the salt and vinegar.

Mondequay

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »
Posting a photo may help with a diagnoses.
Christine

peri7132

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »
I will try to take better pictures

peri7132

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
what I noticed when I went to take better pictures is that most of those brown spots are disappearing  on their own, the mold is growing slow is that because it is too cool in my fridge 43 degrees is the warmest i can get it, until I can find another fridge for just cheese. they are still dry with a little moisture here and there that I can feel when I turn.
see the little brown spot on the back row second cheese from the left.

peri7132

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
I am excited about the cheeses and a nervous wreck, it is like waiting for my does to kid, not knowing what you will get ad how the birth will be! thanks for the input.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
That's just geo - that's what it looks like. Cold temp means candidum sporulation is slow and ripening will be slow. 43 is a touch cold, but not terrible.

Oberhasli

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
It looks like they are coming along nicely.  Since they are aging slowly - that is a good thing.  I have had problems with them all ripening too fast and then getting too strong to eat.  It is better to be able to control that aging process slowly.  They will feel dry for a bit, but then they should start to soften up around the edges.  You might want to try to eat one that is fairly young with a nice bloom to see if you prefer that stage or if you want it to ripen more. 

Bonnie

peri7132

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:26:33 PM »
Mold is slowly growing on my crottins mainly on the sides,the ttops and bottoms are still pretty much mold free.is that because my temp is a little on tghe cold side

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 05:17:50 AM »
They look great to me.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »
I would guess you dry-salted them, which can make patches of high salinity that it takes the mold a while to populate.  They look good though and if the white is taking over all the better.  Usually once the yeast gets going and you have thos epatches it's very hard for the white stuff to take hold.

peri7132

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I am excited about my crottins. I did dry salt them and today they are two weeks old and I cut one open this morning and it ooks good texture was close to mperfect for me BUT the after taste was salty but still good and no chemical or ammonia taste. They are still young but I am mvery excited that in this early stage I didn't get slip skin. I was going to make a batch of chevre today when I got done milking but I think I will try another batch of crottin and maybe brine half of them. I saw a post by white sage farms and she showed brining them and they didn't seem to get soft. I will have to research a little more to make sure I understand what ratio of salt to water to soak the crottins in. here are todays pictures. Thanks to everyone that responded except for this forum I don't have anyone to really talk to about making cheese or about cheese at all. They like to eat it but not discuss it.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Congratulations on your success!

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »
Those look delicious! I decided to brine mine after reading Francois' post about brining them. It seems to have worked well.

I googled your farm name after I noticed it in your signature, hoping to see some goat and farm photos...I saw your etsy store with the pretty things that you make. The wooden horse with the flashy colored mane and tail is so pretty! I love the cup with what look like birch trees. I was wondering if you could make some  containers for the type of cheese that ages in the little ceramic pots... maybe even some tops to go over them with lots of little holes for air circulation/evaporation ... I'll buy some  ;)

I am excited about my crottins. I did dry salt them and today they are two weeks old and I cut one open this morning and it ooks good texture was close to mperfect for me BUT the after taste was salty but still good and no chemical or ammonia taste. They are still young but I am mvery excited that in this early stage I didn't get slip skin. I was going to make a batch of chevre today when I got done milking but I think I will try another batch of crottin and maybe brine half of them. I saw a post by white sage farms and she showed brining them and they didn't seem to get soft. I will have to research a little more to make sure I understand what ratio of salt to water to soak the crottins in. here are todays pictures. Thanks to everyone that responded except for this forum I don't have anyone to really talk to about making cheese or about cheese at all. They like to eat it but not discuss it.
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com