Author Topic: Hi from PeterHobit (Australia)  (Read 1851 times)

PeterHobit

Hi from PeterHobit (Australia)
« on: November 13, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »
Thanks for letting me join this group,

My name is Peter, 48 years old and living in Cambewarra, New South Wales, Australia

Have been making cheese for home consumption since February this year, no failures to date.
Usually make a cheese (or cheeses) out of 20 litres of raw, fresh cow's milk batch once a week.
I love my cheeses. Also (and off topic i think) have just started to make salami, sausage and summer sausage. I love making my own foods and growing as much food I can in my garden.

Anyhow I am usually pretty quiet in the posting side, like to read your posts,

Cheers

Tea

Re: Hi from PeterHobit (Australia)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
Hey Peter, another Aussie, welcome to the forums.  What cheeses have you been making?  I too am blessed to have a surply of fresh milk from a wonderful lady who gives me some when she has excess milk.
You will also find some threads on sausage making as Reg, our resident chef, has been giving me help to start sausage making also.  Hope yours have been sucessful.
Post some pics of your stuff, would love to see what you have done.

PeterHobit

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:30:10 AM »
This is my diary of cheese making,(attached) the highlights (orange) means it has been consumed. I must admit that I love my cheeses and I feel I am getting better and better. I remember the first few I made and I was so fastidious with the stirring and temperature, now I just whack it in and do it, changing some of the recipes as i go. Using fresh warm raw milk probably makes it easy. Making Havarti tonight so it is ready by Christmas. next week will be Camembert (Normandy style) also to be ready by Christmas

Also will be making 5 kg of Mortodella and 5 kg of Bologna (summer sausages) this weekend

cdub

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:45:21 AM »
Howdy Peter. Welcome, I also have enjoyed reading the posts from all the members here. I am going to attempt some queso fresca and alpine as my first cheese. I spent 3 summers in your wonderful country during the bush fire season. I was the mechanic on one of the firefighting helicopters there. We were all over NSW and the ACT. When I had days off, my wife would fly over and we would travel all over. Some of our favorite spots are up in Far North Queensland. I miss going over there. It's been 3 years since I've gone. Good luck on your cheese and take care, Craig

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:07:20 AM »
Howdy Peter and welcome to the forum, looked at your pdf diary, WOW is all I can say :o, very impressive, huge congrats. Quick question, what do you do with that much cheese, especially some of the large batches!! Looking forward to your advice.

PeterHobit

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:40:31 AM »
Cheese Head I eat it silly!!
Lots of thje cheese is still in my cave maturing, the Parmasans are getting a good age to them and will start to sample them when more that 12 months. All the other cheeses just get consumed or small amounts given away. I cook with the feta and ricotta etc. I want to make bigger batches one day but that will have to wait till I get set up for it. I want to make 200 litre batches of cheddar and Parma, next year I hope.