Author Topic: Howdy from Montana  (Read 1701 times)

cdub

Howdy from Montana
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:09:10 AM »
Just wanted to say a quick hi. I have read thru most of the postings here and decided to try my hand at making cheese. Ordered some supplies from N.E. Cheesemaking, made some 4"x5" round moulds with followers and built a lever press that uses bungee cords instead of weights. Should get my order in 2-4 days and will attempt my first cheese. Don't know which type yet. Cold and snowing today in Missoula. Hope that cheesemaking is as rewarding for me as it is for all of you. Take care of yourselves and I'll let you know how that first batch comes out.

Tea

Re: Howdy from Montana
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
Welcome Cdub to the forum.  I hope that you do find cheese making rewarding.  Did you buy some cultures with all that hardware? and do let us know what you decide to make first.

cdub

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:24 AM »
Hi Tea. I only bought a 5 pack of meso starter, cheese cloth, butter muslin, and animal rennet. I made the moulds and press. First cheese will be queso fresca with fresh roasted green chilies and a little garlic and cilantro. After reading so many post on it, I am going to try alpine also. You are heading into summer there and we had a little snow at my house today. I have spent some time in your country and would like to go back again. Spent alot of time up around Port Douglas and Caines. Beautiful country. Take care, Craig

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:03:41 AM »
Howdy Craig/cdub, welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, I posted a recipe for simple homemade Mesophilic culture here that I have used several times, in case you want to get started before your order comes. One item you really do need is rennet, otherwise you are limited to using acids for coagulants such as in lemon cheese.

My wife grew up next door in Calgary, Alberta and we know Whitefish/Kalispell area quite well, no snow here in Houston ;D.