Author Topic: Cut Cheese Before Waxing?  (Read 7589 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Cut Cheese Before Waxing?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:28 AM »
From my experience, it seems better to hold off waxing for a month or two.  Get the cheese good and stable, then wax.  Otherwise there's a good chance that it will end up producing a layer of whey between the wax and the surface of the cheese.  This degrades the rind, and produces an odd, undesirable texture.  But, that could be due to my not stirring the curds enough and I'm retaining too much whey in my makes.  So, get a few opinions, and see what works for you. 

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
I think that no one has outright answered a part of the question because it wasn't the initial question, but perhaps should have been.

I don't know the answer to this, although I have my guesses, but I think perhaps the question should have been, "Does it effect the aging of the cheese if it is cut into wedges and waxed as soon as it is dry?"   Boofer's answer got close to answering this but I think the original poster could use some solid guidance about the impact on aging success.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:15:13 PM by Tiarella »

george

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
Boofer was right.  The chances of success are far greater with waxing or vac'ing the whole wheel, and sectioning out only when it's aged long enough and ready to rock.  (This is from someone who tried it both ways and discovered the hard way not to cut any wheel before its time.)   :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »
I agree with George (MaryJ).  Age it intact.  When you are ready to have the first wedge, cut it out, then wax the cut sides.  Keep the bit that is agining as whole as possible, and just remove the chunks that you'll use "this time".  Meaning, not just the nibble or two you'll have right now, but the piece you'll use for the next little while and the big bit goes back for longer storage.  Although mould ripened cheeses work best uncut, the hard cheeses will age when cut.  However, the most cut surfaces there are, the less protected paste there is as well - even the edge next to the wax or vac bag isn't as nice as the inner paste.  Maximize the inner bits, and the outer bits will take care of themselves.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
Asked, and answered.... 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.