Author Topic: temperature regulation in cheese cave  (Read 5032 times)

kimlasavio

temperature regulation in cheese cave
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
Hi all, I am using a small refrigerator for my cheese cave, and it currently contains my first two cheddars.  I  am having a problem in that the lowest setting of "1" on the thermostat dial inside the fridge gives an internal temperature of about 40-45 degrees F, which seems a little low according to the instruction books I have on hand.  I tried leaving it turned off yesterday when I left for a few hours and when I came back it was up to 60 degrees F, which I assume is too high.

Any ideas on how to get it to stay in between at about 50, which seems to be the favored temperature?  Our temperature lows/highs have been about 50-60/80-95 degrees F, and the refrigerator is on the back porch exposed to the outdoor temperatures.  Thanks!

Kim LaSavio
Highfeather Farm
Ione, California

Brentsbox

Re: temperature regulation in cheese cave
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
I solved that problem by getting one of these http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Manual-Thermostat-Control/dp/B0002EAL58  Its a thermostat that plugs into the wall and then you plug your refrigerator or freezer into it and then set the temp to whatever you want.  It really works great.   I have been using the same one for 5 years now.

kimlasavio

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
 :D Thanks so much!  Ordered one from Amazon this morning.  So, do you think my cheeses are ruined because the temperature has been fluctuating between 40 and 60?  Kim

Brentsbox

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
I wouldnt think so but they might not be the best you will ever make either.  I guess it would depend on what type they are.  But again, im not an expert.  But at this point you dont have anything to loose.   

I also put a bowl of water on the top and bottom shelf and that seems to keep my humidity around 75 or so. 

Offline woodsman

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
My only choice around here is an Agricultural Thermostat. Not as convenient as the Johnson unit and it requires hard wiring v. just plugging it in, but if you have a dedicated fridge for aging your cheese it makes for a less messy solution.

kimlasavio

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
Sooo, thanks to the internet (I love Amazon.com!!), I now have my cheeses in a little apartment sized fridge with a Johnson Thermostat and a Honeywell thermometer/hygrometer, thermostat set at 52 F, which is giving me a reading on the thermometer of between 48 and 56.  I did have to move the fridge into the house from the back patio as it was cold enough at night that the temp was dropping into the low 40s by morning.  The humidity is still low (we live in California, after all), so I am going to add another bowl of water.  Thank you for your great suggestions.  This is such a great forum for us beginners!   

My next question is:  When you have your waxed cheeses in the cave, do you have to leave space between them for air circulation, or can I stack them?  Only two shelves in the little fridge, not much available surface for placing individual cheeses, but could stack 2-3 high and/or put them closer together.  ???

Thanks very much!  Kim in California

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »
Don't stack them.  Waxed cheese (most of tthe semi-hards anyway) will still tend to pool whey, hence the need to flip them.  If you stack them you will acceleraste the whey discharge, plus stress your wax.  You shoudl avoid it if you can.

mcfly

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
Damn.. They dont ship to the UK and I cant seem to find it anywhere here. We also run on 240v so the US unit could be a problem, any Brits out there who would know where I could buy an external fridge thermostat control unit like this..

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 02:17:35 AM »
I think the Ranco is a substantially better quality controller.

traviscarter

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
Open up the temperature control box in the the refrigerator part of the fridge. Find the temperature probe which is copper. push the probe up into the freezer part of the fridge. with a few adjustments you will be able to get your fridge to maintain a temp of 50 to 52 degrees.