Author Topic: Lancashire Cheese Making - Flocculation Multiplier  (Read 1994 times)

Brentsbox

Lancashire Cheese Making - Flocculation Multiplier
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
Can someone tell me what the floc multiplier for a Lancashire should be.   

thanks!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Lancashire Cheese Making - Flocculation Multiplier
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
There are no absolutes with floc multiplier. In general, a lower multiplier will produce a drier, harder cheese, while a longer multiplier will produce a moister, softer cheese. Lancashire is supposed to be creamy, so I would use 3.5 the first time. You can always adjust it on your next batch. When you find the one that you like the most, that's the one you will use all the time.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »
When you find the one that you like the most, that's the one you will use all the time.

Except when your milk changes :)

I agree with Sailor. The point of checking for flocculation is to help guide you to achieve a final moisture level in the curd. You get to this moisture level by controlling the rate of whey expulsion. Three factors contribute to whey expulsion rate: agitation (curd collisions), curd size (larger curds expel slower), and heat (higher temp leads to faster syneresis). You have to balance all these along with the starter amount and acidification profile of the starter to get the right moisture level of the curd when you drain at the right acidity. The rate of syneresis is also influenced by the protein to fat ratio, and the strength of the curd based on when you cut from the time you add rennet. It is only in the last part that the floc is helpful.

Milk differs throughout the year in terms of the amount of protein and fat it has. This ratio of protein to fat determines the final fat content, and the rate of whey expulsion, because higher fat curd is slower to release whey (think of how slow stilton releases whey).

So there you have it. Sailor's right, a 3-4x should be a good starting point. But keep the other stuff in mind, too.

Brentsbox

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »
Sailor & Linuxboy,   Thanks for your replies.  That helps a lot and I think i am starting to get a hold on some of this and its starting to all come together.   Thanks for all your help.