Author Topic: Crottin ~ my first attempt, used Francois' recipe  (Read 9857 times)

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
Crottin ~ my first attempt, used Francois' recipe
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:56:32 PM »
Last weekend I made Crottin, following the recipe Francois posted a while back, and milk from my appropriately named La Mancha goat, "Paradise".

I've posted a link to the little album I just made,  in case anyone wants to look, offer any suggestions or constructive criticism, etc.

I'm really excited about these, they're my first "make" of mold ripened cheese. They smell really good :-)

I've tried to attach a couple photos-hope they show up. one photo of my Crottin, and a photo of my wee Crottin de Chavignol that I ordered from Murray's, following advice from Iratherfly, so I'll have an idea of what a proper Crottin tastes like. Yum!

Thanks to Iratherfly and Francios for the inspiration I gleened from reading your posts and the encouragement from a couple of PM's to and from Iratherfly!

http://www.whitesagefarms.com/CROTTIN-PHOTOS-SEPT-2010/#slides/P1330251.JPG
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Mondequay

Re: Crottin ~ my first attempt, used Francois' recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
Beautiful! Love the slideshow and your hygrometer. It is so much prettier than my digital!

I decided that crottin is to be my next cheese make and I am going to use Yoav's recipe. Thanks for all the photos, I'm ready now!
Christine

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:59:01 AM »
Very nice! Good photos too!

peri7132

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 01:09:28 AM »
loved your slide show, and great ideal to use those frosting containers, I was going to ask were you got the interesting molds from when i watched your slide show. I too have just made my first crottin from my own nubian goats. The mold is growing very slowly. Can't wait to try them when they are close to being ready.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:20:34 AM »
Looks very good.  I also enjoyed your slide show.  Very nice moulds too, perfect size for crottins.

TroyG

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
Where is a copy of the recipe? I have been kicking around the idea of trying these.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2019.msg15259.html#msg15259

I make mine almost the same way, except slightly different (slower) culture at 2% bulk equivalent.

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the compliments Christine! I used "Jalbum", to make the photogallery/slideshow... & I found the hygrometer when I did a search on Amazon. I like it's  funky look, too! Reminds me of something you'd see on an old ship.

There is so much good "cheese energy" on this forum. :) I was inspired after reading the conversations about making Crottin, and looking at pictures of the ones Yoav posted. It's amazing how much knowledge and goodwill there is on this forum.

I'm going to try Yoav's recipe too! Can't wait to hear how yours turn out!

~Laurie

Beautiful! Love the slideshow and your hygrometer. It is so much prettier than my digital!

I decided that crottin is to be my next cheese make and I am going to use Yoav's recipe. Thanks for all the photos, I'm ready now!
Christine
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »
Thanks DeejayDebi! I was surprised when I joined this forum and finally put 2 + 2 together & realized that you're Deejay's Smoke Pit! I've looked at your website many times since I started making cheese at the beginning of 2010. Your site is wonderful.

All your cheeses look really great to me, I can tell you've been at it for a long time.

I've got meat goats, so I'm going to have to look around your site for some interesting things to do with the meat. :-)

~Laurie

Very nice! Good photos too!
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »
Thanks peri7132! I got the idea to use the frosting containers from a customer's post on Ricki Carroll's website :-)
The frosting was good too, & I didn't make any cakes to put it on LOL. Very cool that you've got Nubians. I love them, but somehow ended up with La Manchas and some mini dairy breeds. Do you have a website with some photos of your goats?

I first noticed the mold on mine on day 4, it seemed to be growing fast, then I moved them to the wine cooler & it slowed down. It's coming along nicely. I have to go back and re-read the Crottin posts and find out what I'm supposed to do with them next... hopefully I get to eat them soon.  :)

~Laurie

loved your slide show, and great ideal to use those frosting containers, I was going to ask were you got the interesting molds from when i watched your slide show. I too have just made my first crottin from my own nubian goats. The mold is growing very slowly. Can't wait to try them when they are close to being ready.
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
Thank you Francois, merci!

I was quite intimidated while I was making the Crottins because I'm such a beginner... but as soon as I had the curds in and out of the molds, in and out of the brine, then actually saw mold growing on them I felt much better! The first thing I noticed when they were sitting out at room temperature when the mold started growing was the aroma of bread dough rising, the wonderful yeasty smell. Now that they're in the cooler, I don't notice the yeast smell, but they definitely have a wonderful aroma.

Thank you for posting the recipe, I'm going to treasure it.

~Laurie

Looks very good.  I also enjoyed your slide show.  Very nice moulds too, perfect size for crottins.
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 07:18:15 AM »
OK, now this is where I get confused and intimidated- the "2% bulk equivalent" type of statements.  I need some enlightenment. Do I need to learn algebra again, just to make cheese? LOL!?!

~Laurie

I make mine almost the same way, except slightly different (slower) culture at 2% bulk equivalent.
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »
It's very easy and I wouldn't make cheese any other way.  It's like making yogurt and then using that instead of a packet of direct set.

linuxboy

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »
OK, now this is where I get confused and intimidated- the "2% bulk equivalent" type of statements.  I need some enlightenment. Do I need to learn algebra again, just to make cheese? LOL!?!

~Laurie

You can just use my handy dandy chart :)

Bulk equivalent     Danisco DVI     CHR Hansen DVS     CHR Hansen DVS-pellet
0.50%     3.25 DCU per 100 liters    5 U per 100 liters    5 g per 100 liters
1.00%     6.5 DCU per 100 liters    10 U per 100 liters    10 g per 100 liters
1.50%     9.75 DCU per 100 liters    15 U per 100 liters    15 g per 100 liters
2.00%     13 DCU per 100 liters    20 U per 100 liters    20 g per 100 liters

I have other equivalencies, like for Cargill, but I doubt anyone here uses Cargill pellets.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »
Let's say you are making 2 gallons of cheese (or yogurt).

2 gallons = 256 ounces

...so...

2% of 256 is 5.12 ounces.

So you would use 5.12 ounces of a mother culture to add to your milk